Bushfire Attack Level Risk Assessment Certificate
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance

Quick Launch

Bushfire Attack Level Risk Assessment Certificate

Print this Page

​The following information will assist you if you need to lodge an application for a Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) Risk Assessment Certificate.

Do I need to apply?

You may need to apply for a BAL Certificate if you are doing Complying Development on Bushfire Prone Land.

What is Complying Development?

Development that is specified as Complying Development requiring a BAL Certificate can be found at the following:

What is a Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) Certificate?

A Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) Certificate certifies that the development is not in bushfire attack level-40 (BAL-40) or the flame zone (BAL-FZ). A BAL Certificate can be provided by either the Council or a person who is recognised by the NSW Rural Fire Service as a suitably qualified consultant in bush fire risk assessment. 

Is my property Bushfire Prone Land?

To confirm whether or not your property is mapped as Bushfire Prone Land you can either:

If you are unsure about any of the above, contact our Customer Service team on (02) 4227 7111.​

What are the requirements when applying for a BAL Risk Assessment Certificate?


You should include the following with your application:
  • a statement of proposed development
  • a site plan (with reference number and date) drawn to scale that indicates, where relevant:
    • existing buildings on site and their uses
    • proposed development
    • setbacks of proposed development to the site boundaries
  • payment of application fee(s) at the time the application is lodged
If you are lodging your application online, you will be required to upload the accompanying information and use a valid credit card to process payment of application fee(s) when lodging your application.
Should you choose to lodge your application in person or by post, you will be required to provide one (1) digital copy and one (1) hardcopy of the application form and accompanying information. 
The application fee(s) must be paid at the time the application is lodged with Council.

Lodge an application

To lodge an application, click the “Apply for it” button.


Page last updated: