Wollongong City Libraries offer the following services at all branches:
Free internet access
Word processing facilities
Printing - from library PC's, home PC, laptop and mobile devices
Wollongong City Libraries now offer a free Wireless Hotspot. WiFi Hotspots are available at all branches. Members and visitors with their own laptop/notebook/device can access the wireless network in the Library during opening hours.
How does it work?
- Bring your laptop/notebook/device to the library.
- Most laptops/notebooks/devices are configured for wireless access and your wireless card should automatically detect the wireless signal (check your 'Settings' to ensure Wifi is turned on).
- Once your device picks up the wireless signal, select Library Free WiFi & accept our terms for use.
- Open your preferred browser (any http://url should open the Library Free WiFi network)
- Ensure pop-ups are enabled, NOT BLOCKED, on your browser
Wireless access is free
Wireless access is limited to standard web browsing protocols - http and https
1. Why does the speed of my connection vary?
The speed of the wireless connection can be affected by your distance from the access point and the number of users of the network at a given time. Try moving to a different area of the library to improve the connection.
2. Is printing available if I am using my laptop/notebook/device?
Yes. Printing can be sent from home or via the wireless network. Information on how to do this can be accessed here. Cost of printing is 20c per page.
Alternatively you can:
- save your data to a portable device (e.g. usb memory stick)
- login to the Library's public access PCs, download your data and print
- cost of printing is 20c per page
3. Can I get technical assistance from the library?
Staff are unable to provide technical assistance. Consult your user manual or contact your hardware supplier for help with troubleshooting.
4. Can I access my email using the wireless network?
Access to web based email is available via wireless. You may need to change some settings on your laptop/notebook/device to access email.
Internet Conditions of Use
Library members and visitors using the internet or the Library's wireless network are responsible for the following:
- to observe and not infringe copyright laws and licensing agreements
- to not use the computers for any illegal or irresponsible activity
- to not display indecent or otherwise offensive material on the screen
- to not attempt to corrupt software or damage equipment
- to be considerate of other users
- to use headphones when playing sound files.
Unacceptable conduct may lead to the suspension of library privileges
When using your own device please:
- bring a fully charged battery and prepare to be self-powered as electrical outlets are not always available in the public areas
- be mindful of the safety of others when using electrical cords which must not be strung across public traffic areas. Cable covers are available, please ask staff.
As with other library resources, parents are responsible for the supervision of their child's access to the internet.
The library does not guarantee access to any site and accepts no responsibility for damage to any devices used including virus transmission, pop-ups or spyware.