Wollongong City Council's Interpreter Service provides onsite, face-to-face interpreting for the public, community and private sector agencies for casework, client assessment, community consultations, conferences, group information sessions and public meetings.
The Service also provides onsite language support for new and emerging languages, for which there may be no local NAATI-qualified Interpreters. Language Support Workers are not NAATI accredited.
The Service currently provides Interpreters and/or Language Support Workers for 32 languages.
Please note: Booking Office administrative hours are:
- Monday: 9am-12pm
- Wednesday: 2pm-5pm
- Friday: Friday 9am-12pm
For enquiries outside these hours phone (02) 4227 7650 and leave a message or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
However, bookings can be made at any time using the online service. Bookings and enquiries will be processed during administrative hours above.
We require at least three working days' notice for all bookings.
How to Book
All bookings are done via our online service. To make bookings you will need to:
1. First register for Council’s online services to receive a User ID and Password. You only need to register once, and can do this by clicking the button below.
2: Using your User ID and Password, you can request, cancel or view your bookings online anytime via the buttons below.
To cancel a booking or view your booking history, please select 'Cancel bookings' . We've also put together a guide on How to Cancel an Interpreter Booking [790 KB].
IMPORTANT: We do not accept cancellations via phone or email. All cancellations must be submitted online - click the green Cancel Bookings button below and follow the prompts. Please note that cancellations received within 24 hours of the Interpreter session time will attract 100% cancellation fee.
If you're having technical difficulties using online registrations, bookings or cancellations, please call (02) 4227 7675.
Interpreter Booking Fees 2018-2019 and List of Languages
Interpreter booking fees
Service Terms & Conditions
- Standard bookings incur a minimum booking fee (per Interpreter) equivalent to 1.5hrs. If a booking goes over time then fees are charged in increments of 15 minutes (refer to our Interpreter Booking Fees on this page).
- Mileage reimbursement is applicable for any kilometres travelled outside the Local Government Area. The rates range from $0.68 to $0.78 per kilometre (depending on the size of the car engine of the relevant interpreter).
- Our Interpreters are committed to best practice industry standards, including neutrality, accuracy and confidentiality. Their role is to provide interpreted information. Their role does not include entering into discussion, giving advice, expressing opinions or signing any documentation other than the booking confirmation form. If the signing of any additional documentation is required, this documentation must be disclosed and forwarded for perusal at the time of booking.
- We do not accept cancellations via phone or email. All cancellations must be submitted online - click the green 'Cancel Bookings' button on this page (above) and follow the prompts. Please note that cancellations received within 24 hours of the Interpreter session time will attract 100% cancellation fee.
- At the end of each assignment both the booking agency/client and the Interpreter shall sign the Confirmation of Engagement of Services form verifying attendance and the duration of assignment and return the form to Interpreters@wollongong.nsw.gov.au.
- If an interpreting session is required for a home visit, the interpreter must be accompanied by staff from the booking agency.
Work for us
If you're interested in joining our team of Interpreters and Language Support Workers, we'd love to hear from you. Please read the Job Description
, then complete our online EOI form
, and we'll be in touch as soon as we can to follow up.
Prospective Interpreters should ideally have their own transport, a mobile phone and email address.
Quick tips for working with an Interpreter
- Consider using the same Interpreter for multiple assignments so that you may establish a familiar working relationship.
- When hiring an Interpreter, be sensitive to cultural and religious preferences, as well as varieties and dialects of certain languages.
- Allow time prior to the interview to brief the Interpreter. If there is any specific terminology to be used (eg medical or legal) ask them if they understand it.
- Where possible, have a private area prepared for the session.
- Arrange seating in a triangular or circular form to allow for easy communication.
- Speak in the first person and speak directly to the person/client and not the Interpreter.
- Make sure the Interpreter is clear that they are never to answer questions on your behalf.
- Allow the Interpreter to clarify information if necessary.
- Use clear, simple language and short sentences.
- Avoid using jargon, slang, idioms or proverbs.
- If the person requires another appointment, make those arrangements with the person while the Interpreter is still there.
The difference between interpreting and translation is only the difference in the medium. An Interpreter translates orally, while a Translator interprets written text. Our Interpreter Service does not provide a translation service, however we may be able to refer you to local accredited translators.
If you choose to use the NSW Community Relations Commission translation service original documents for translation can be left at:
Wollongong NSW Services Office
Ground Floor, Shop 2-3
90 Crown Street, Wollongong
Phone: 13 77 88
Council's Interpreters and Language Support Workers are bound by a strict Code of Ethics developed by the Australian Institute of Interpreters and Translators (Ausit) or the Australian Sign Language Interpreters Association (ASLIA) and will maintain confidentiality and not disclose information acquired in the course of any assignment.
Click the links below to view the relevant guidelines: