Page sections: Return Unwanted Medicines (RUM) Program | Safe Syringe Disposal | Medical Waste Disposal
Return Unwanted Medicines (RUM) Program
Each year it's estimated at least 200 tonnes of medicine - enough to fill 850 wheely bins - are thrown away or inappropriately disposed of. Many of these medicines contain chemicals that can harm the environment if they reach waterways.
You can help protect the environment, and look after your health, through the Return Unwanted Medicines or RUM program. The NSW Government-funded program encourages people to take their old and unwanted medicines to any pharmacy for safe disposal.
Safe Syringe Disposal
Diabetic and other used, non-illegal drug syringes can be disposed off safely at selected pharmacies. All syringes must be stored in an appropriate rigid container when presented to the pharmacy, such as an approved Medispose container. Loose needles will not be accepted.
See below for a full list of pharmacies where syringes can be disposed of free of charge.
- Amcal Chemist, Shop 56, Westfield Shopping Town, Warrawong - 4274 1517
- Andrew's Pharmacy, 437 Princes Hwy, Corrimal - 4284 4445
- Balgownie Pharmacy, 160 Balgownie Rd, Balgownie - 4284 4027
- Blooms the Chemist, Shop 12-15 Westfield Shopping Town, Figtree - 4229 5847
- Blooms the Chemist, 401 Princes Hwy, Woonona - 4285 4500
- Bowden's Pharmacy, 80 Wentworth St, Port Kembla - 4274 2044
- Bulli Pharmacy, 251 Princes Hwy, Bulli - 4284 3101
- Central Chemist, Shop 11, Anitas Theatre Building, Thirroul - 4268 4711
- Centre Pharmacy, 120 Princes Hwy, Unanderra - 4271 1020
- Coates and Kahler Chemist, 43 Princes Hwy, Fairy Meadow - 4284 4558
- Convenient Chemist, 355 Lawrence Hargrave Drive, Thirroul - 4267 1284
- Cringila Pharmacy, 9 Lake Ave, Cringila - 4274 1977
- Dapto Centre Town Pharmacy, 21 Bong Bong Rd, Dapto - 4261 1377
- Dapto Mall Pharmacy, Shop 8-10 Dapto Mall, Dapto - 4262 2122
- Downtown MediAdvice Pharmacy, 60 Crown St, Wollongong - 4229 1025
- Figtree Plaza Chemist, 5 Bellevue Rd, Figtree - 4228 5641
- Gwynneville Pharmacy, 184 Gipps Rd, Gwynneville - 4229 4287
- Harrisons Health & Beauty Pharmacy, 128-134 Crown St, Wollongong - 4229 1622
- Helensburgh Pharmacy, 121 Park St, Helensburgh - 4294 2772
- Hospital Hill Pharmacy, 330 Crown St, Wollongong - 4229 5868
- Hussains Pharmacy, 53 Pioneer Rd, Bellambi - 4284 3985
- Kanahooka Pharmacy, 1/56 Lakeside Drive, Kanahooka - 4260 8551
- Keiraville Pharmacy, Grey St, Keiraville - 4229 5548
- Night and Day Chemworld Pharmacy, Shop 56 Westfield Shopping Town, Warrawong - 4274 2969
- Pharmasafe Pharmacy, Cnr Winnima Way & Park Ave, Berkeley - 4271 1258
- Priceline Pharmacy, 4/37 Princes Hwy, Dapto
- Unanderra Pharmacy, 33 Central Rd, Unanderra - 4271 1204
- Warrawong Health Pharmacy, Shop 111 Westfield Shopping Town, Warrawong - 4274 1119
- Westside Chemist, 398 Princes Hwy, Woonona - 4284 7919
- Windang Pharmacy, 318 Windang Rd, Windang - 4295 1901
- Wollongong City Pharmacy, 237 Crown St, Wollongong - 4229 5724
Medical Waste Disposal
Council has a specific exemption under the Fees and Charges Policy that allows for Peritoneal Kidney Dialysis patients to apply for a 240 litre garbage bin for the same price as a 120 litre bin. Please contact the Remondis Harbour Cities Team or Council regarding eligibility and application forms.