Our Interpreter Service is on hold until further notice.
We will update this page when the service returns.
You can also find links to COVID-19 information in community languages on our COVID-19 Multilingual Information page.
Council has an interpreter service that can help you with face-to-face language support. Interpreters can work with you to communicate with government, community groups or private businesses. This can be for things like casework, community consultations, conferences or meetings.
About our interpreter service
Interpreters accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) are available for these languages:
- Farsi (Persian)
Language support workers are also available for the languages below. Please note that language support workers are not NAATI accredited.
- Burmese (Myanmar)
- Chi Chewa
- Karenni (Kayah)
- Korean (South)
Bookings and enquiries are only processed during our booking office hours:
- Monday 9am – 12pm
- Wednesday 2 – 5pm
- Friday 9am - 12pm.
If you have a question, call (02) 4227 7650 or email the booking office.
Our Service employs Interpreters and Language Support Workers (LSW).
Interpreters have professional credentials and usually have NAATI accreditation or equivalent.
Our LSW do not hold formal qualifications. They are not used for legal interpreting. LSW provide an option if no qualified interpreter is available. This is often the case for some of new and emerging languages.
|Parent HierachyArea||Fee NameFee Name||GSTGST||Current Fee (incl. GST)Current Fee (incl. GST)|
|Parent HierachyCommunity Programs | Wollongong Interpreter Service||Fee NameMinimum 1 1/2 hour session||GSTY||Current Fee$194.00|
|Parent HierachyCommunity Programs | Wollongong Interpreter Service||Fee NameFull Day (up to 7 hours)||GSTY||Current Fee$675.00|
|Parent HierachyCommunity Programs | Wollongong Interpreter Service||Fee NameEvery 1/4 hour after||GSTY||Current Fee$35.00|
|Parent HierachyCommunity Programs | Wollongong Interpreter Service||Fee NameMinimum 1 1/2 hour session – Language Support Worker||GSTY||Current Fee$174.00|
|Parent HierachyCommunity Programs | Wollongong Interpreter Service||Fee NameFull Day (up to 7 hours)||GSTY||Current Fee$615.00|
|Parent HierachyCommunity Programs | Wollongong Interpreter Service||Fee NameEvery 1/4 hour after||GSTY||Current Fee$31.50|
|Parent HierachyCommunity Programs | Wollongong Interpreter Service | Charge For Mileage For Out Of Local Government Area Sessions||Fee NameUnder 2.5 ltr vehicle – per klm||GSTY||Current Fee$0.80|
|Parent HierachyCommunity Programs | Wollongong Interpreter Service | Charge For Mileage For Out Of Local Government Area Sessions||Fee Name2.5 ltr and over vehicle – per klm||GSTY||Current Fee$0.90|
These are the rules that apply for interpreter bookings:
- The minimum booking per session is 1.5 hours. If a booking goes over time, then fees are charged in blocks of 15 minutes.
- You must pay a travel cost if the interpreter has to travel outside the Wollongong City Council area. See the Fees section of this page for current travel charges.
- Our Interpreters and Language Support Workers are committed to best practice industry standards. This includes being neutral, accurate, and confidential. Their role is to provide interpreted information. They do not enter into discussion, give advice, express opinions or sign any documents other than the booking confirmation form. If you want the interpreter to sign any documents, you must tell the booking officer and send a copy of the document you would like signed when you make the booking.
- All cancellations must be made online. You cannot cancel by phone or email. See the ‘How to cancel a booking’ section on this page for details.
- An agency representative and the interpreter must both sign a form at the end of each session. This is called the ‘Confirmation of Engagement Services form’. It confirms that the booking was completed, and how long it took. You will be sent a copy of this form when your booking is confirmed. The signed form must be scanned or photographed and emailed to our Interpreter Service team.
- If you book an interpreter to visit your home, they must be accompanied by a staff member from the booking agency.
If you have questions or don’t understand these conditions, call us on (02) 4227 7650 during Booking Office hours.
You can also read the policy our interpreters and language support workers follow below:
Please also read our COVID-19 safety guidelines before booking or using our interpreter service.
- It can be good to use the same interpreter for multiple bookings so you can build a good working relationship.
- When hiring an interpreter, be sensitive to cultural and religious preferences, as well as varieties and dialects of some languages.
- Allow time before the interview to meet with the interpreter and talk about the booking. If there are any special terms to be used (eg medical or legal) ask them if they understand it.
- Try to have a private area prepared for the session.
- Arrange seating in a triangular or circular form to allow for easy communication.
- Speak in the first person and speak directly to the person/client and not the interpreter.
- Make sure the interpreter is clear that they are never to answer questions on your behalf.
- Allow the interpreter to clarify information if necessary.
- Use clear, simple language and short sentences.
- Avoid using jargon, slang, idioms or proverbs.
- If the person needs another appointment, make arrangements with them while the interpreter is still there.
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Information
- Book a Space
Apply for a Grant
- Bands and Choirs
- Community Events
- Community Events Quick Response Grants
- Connecting Neighbours Grants
- Connecting Neighbours - Verge Garden Grants
- Creating Connections - High School Grants
- Creative Wollongong Quick Response Grants
- Economic and Industry Grants
- Emergency Food and Care Support Grants
- Heritage Grants
- Live Music Quick Response Grants
- Minor Donations
- NAIDOC Week Grants
- Small Cultural Grants
- Sports Grants
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details