The Local Government Regional NAIDOC Awards is an opportunity to celebrate the contribution and achievements of Aboriginal* communities in Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama and Shoalhaven local government areas.
This year's awards are hosted by Wollongong City Council, with a dinner to be held at the Fraternity Club, Fairy Meadow, on Saturday 30 July. See our awards event for details.
In line with the 2022 NAIDOC Week theme Get Up! Stand Up! Show Up! the dinner event is an opportunity to “encourage all of us to champion institutional, structural, collaborative, and cooperative change while celebrating those who have already driven and led change in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities over generations.”
We expect the event to be attended by 450 community members, sponsors, dignitaries, Elders and award recipients.
See the information at the bottom of this page for more videos.
Nominations now open
Nominations are now open to recognise Aboriginal and Non-Aboriginal achievement across the following categories:
- Aboriginal Elder of the Year (male and female)
- Aboriginal Community Representative of the Year
- Aboriginal Young Achiever of the Year (male and female)
- Aboriginal Community Volunteer of the Year
- Aboriginal Organisation of the Year
- Outstanding Contribution to Reconciliation (Aboriginal or Non-Aboriginal)
Before nominating, please read the information below.
The Selection Panel will assess nominations on the following selection criteria.
Please make sure your application addresses each of these.
- Demonstrated achievements
- Commitment to the betterment of Aboriginal community
- Promotes understanding and awareness of Aboriginal Culture to the wider community
- Young Achiever must be aged between 12 and 24 years, and achievements must relate to the past 12 months only.
- Nominations must be made online, or using the official nomination form (PDF).
- You can nominate more than one group or individual, but a separate form must be submitted for each nomination.
- Community groups can self-nominate. The names of the office bearers must be listed on the nomination form.
- You may contact Council for advice about nominations.
- Past winners will not be considered for the same category again; however nominations are allowed for those previously nominated who did not receive awards.
- All nomination information and materials submitted remain the property of Wollongong City Council.
- No weight is given to the number of times a person is nominated.
- The judging committee's decision is final.
- The purpose of the Award is to acknowledge the contributions and achievements of local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. To be eligible for the nomination of an Award, the nominee must:
- Be an Aboriginal and / or Torres Strait Islander person (except for the category ‘Outstanding Contribution to Reconciliation (Aboriginal or Non-Aboriginal)', and
- Live, work or study locally, or be actively involved within their communities, and
- Reside within the Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama or Shoalhaven local government areas.
Please note, as part of the nomination process, you will be asked to attach a photo of the nominee. This should be in JPEG, PNG or PDF format, and no larger than 10 MB.
Use the button below to make a nomination online.
Entries close at 5pm, Friday 8 July 2022.
The Awards will be presented on Saturday 30 July at the Regional NAIDOC Awards Dinner at the Fraternity Club, Fairy Meadow.
*Note: 'Aboriginal' includes Torres Strait Islander people.
Learn more and get involved
The videos below were produced for the 2021 Local Government Regional NAIDOC Awards.
Joining of the Sands
We have a range of sponsor and supporter opportunities available for the 2022 Local Government Regional NAIDOC Awards.
Becoming a sponsor is a great way to show your support for our local Aboriginal communities, and to promote your organisation to a wide audience across the Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama and Shoalhaven areas.
Download our Sponsorship Package PDF, 8886.96 KB to learn more about this opportunity.
To apply, please use the button below, or complete the above form and return it to Council.
For sponsorship enquiries, please email Emily Loomes or call (02) 4227 8533.