We're inviting young people from across Wollongong to share photographs that show what they're grateful for, and reflect on what 2020 has been like for them.
If you're aged between 12 and 24 years, enter your photo and finish the statement "I am grateful for...."
We'll choose 18 images to be exhibited on large panels in Crown Street Mall during this year's holiday season. Other entries will be shown on smaller photo panels.
To take part, read the information below, and get your entries in by midnight on Friday 25 September 2020!
Free professional photography sessions!
If you don't have access to a camera to take part in this project, don't worry - we've got you covered!
Book a free session with a professional photographer to get a photo that's yours to upload and enter The Grateful Portrait Project. Sessions will be held at Warrawong Plaza on Saturday 19 September.
Places are limited, and bookings are on a first-come, first-served basis.
Book now on Eventbrite
You must be aged between 12 and 24 years, and live in the Wollongong City Council area to take part.
Your photo must be your own work in the format of a digital image. Please check the 'What are the file requirements' section of this page for image format details.
You'll also need to finish the sentence "I am grateful for...."
If you don't have access to a camera, don't worry - you can still take part!
We're offering some free portrait sessions with a professional photographer on Saturday 19 September.
For information and bookings visit Eventbrite.
Your image will need to meet these requirements:
- Portrait (or tall) orientation
- If you're using a phone camera, make sure it's set to the highest image quality
- If you have a DSLR camera, use the highest settings
- Up to 20 MB file size.
The statement you submit with the image must be no more than 280 characters.
Use the button on this page to fill in our online form.
You'll need to enter your details, attach your image and complete the statement.
Make sure you read the terms and conditions before entering.
Anyone under 18 needs to get their parent or guardian's permission too.
The deadline is midnight (12am) on Friday 25 September 2020.
The Grateful Portrait Project will be exhibited in Crown Street Mall from the beginning of November 2020.
Photos will be displayed for eight weeks.
The Promoter of this exhibition is Wollongong City Council (‘Council’)
1. Who can enter?
- To enter, you must be:
- between 12 and 24 years of age; and
- live in the Wollongong Local Government Area.
- If you are under 18 years of age, you will need parental/guardian approval to participate. Your parent/guardian must read and consent to these Terms and Conditions.
- Council employees and their immediate family and household members are not eligible to enter. Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (whether natural or by adoption), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or first cousin.
2. How to enter
- Your entry will consist of:
- a photographic portrait of yourself or others (as a digital image); and
- your ‘I am grateful for…’ statement (no more than 280 characters).
- You may only submit 1 entry and it must comply with the following requirements:
- it must be your own work;
- the digital image must meet the following minimum specifications:
- Portrait (or tall) orientation.
- If you're using a phone camera, make sure it's set to the highest image quality.
- If you have a DSLR camera, use the highest settings.
- Up to 20 MB file size.
- Entries can be submitted between 5pm (AEST) on 7 September 2020 and midnight (AEST) on 25 September 2020 (‘Submission Period’). Any entry received after the expiry of the Submission Period will be deemed invalid. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost, delayed or misdirected entries.
- You must submit your entry online, via the Wufoo link on Council’s website. Any entries not registered and submitted through Wufoo will be deemed invalid.
- Council reserves the right to verify your details (including your age and identity) and to disqualify you if you are not eligible to submit an entry. Even if Council does not immediately enforce these conditions, it reserves its right to do so at any time.
- If your details change, you are responsible for notifying Council. A request to access or modify any information provided in an entry should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- There is no cost to enter the Grateful Portrait Project however internet connection and usage rates may apply. Council is not and will not be liable for any such costs.
3. The Selection
- Images will be selected by a panel made up of staff from Wollongong City Council (‘the Panel’).
- The panel will select successful entries after 25 September 2020 at Council’s Administration Building located at 41 Burelli Street, Wollongong NSW 2500.
- The successful entries will be selected from all valid entries (that is, entries that comply with these terms and conditions and any applicable technical requirements).
- Council will notify the successful entrants by e-mail and/or telephone by 5.00pm on 2 November 2020 (‘the Notification’).
- Council’s decision in relation to any aspect of the Grateful Portrait Project is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
4. The Exhibition
- The Panel will choose 18 entries to be exhibited on large 2.4m high by 1.2 m wide blocks.
- A selection of other entries will be chosen to form part of smaller sized photo panels.
- Not all entries will be exhibited.
- If your entry is chosen for the exhibit, you will have no interest in, or rights over, the exhibited image.
- Upon submission, your entry becomes the property of Council. Your entry will not be returned to you.
- Council may cancel or vary the Grateful Portrait Project at any time. Council will not be responsible for any loss or costs you may incur in relation to such cancellation or variation.
- You warrant that:
- you are the owner of the copyright in your entry and the submission of your entry does not give rise to any infringement, or unauthorised use, of any third party intellectual property rights.
- [if your entry is a portrait of another person]: you had the permission of that person (or, if the subject is under 18 years, the permission of that persons’ parent or guardian) to take the photograph and to submit the photograph as your entry;
- You agree to indemnify Council against all costs and claims by third parties arising from a breach of this warranty.
- By submitting an entry, you release Council from, and indemnify Council against, all liability for any loss or damage or injury whatsoever which is suffered (including, but not limited to, indirect or consequential loss), or for any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with the Grateful Portrait Project, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
- You grant Council a non-exclusive licence to exercise all intellectual property rights in perpetuity for non-commercial purposes in your entry and all other material provided by you to Council pursuant to the Grateful Portrait Project. This means that Council will be able to use and reproduce your entry its own purposes, including editing and adapting your entry as required. You accept that, to the extent allowable under the law, Council has no liability to you for how a third party elects to use your entry, and as such it may be permanently stored, reproduced, copied, distributed or the like, without recourse or remedy against Council.
Privacy Protection Notice
- Purpose of collection: Council will collect the personal information of individuals who submit an entry in order to be able to contact the owners of the images to be exhibited
- Intended recipients: Council staff.
- Supply: While the supply of personal information is voluntary, the information provided will enable your participation in the Exhibition.
- Access / Correction: Your personal information may be accessed by you and Council. A request to access, update or correct any information should be directed to Wollongong City Council.
- Storage: The personal information collected will be stored by Council for the purposes indicated above. However, any personal information may be disclosed as required by law.
For more information, email the Project Officer or call (02) 4227 8614.
Sport and Recreation
- Walking and Cycling
- Skate Parks
- Outdoor Fitness
- Wollongong City Leisure Centres
- The Vale Golf Course
- Our Pools
- Dog Beaches and Parks
- Parks and Gardens
- Art and Culture
- City Centre
- Tourist Parks