For the latest updates about COVID-19 cases, health advice and restrictions, please see the NSW Health website
You can also visit NSW Health to find your nearest coronavirus testing centre.
Information and advice about Coronavirus (COVID-19) is evolving quickly. Wollongong City Council is monitoring and responding to this fast-moving situation.
We encourage everyone to follow the advice of the Australian Government and NSW Health when it comes to your personal health and wellbeing. The National Disability Insurance Service and Council for Intellectual Disability also have some useful information available online.
Council has plans in place to support the continued delivery of services to you. We are constantly reviewing our plans to make sure we are prepared for any situation.
However, as this situation unfolds we may need to change, reduce or postpone services and events at short notice. If this happens, we will let you know.
Updates about Coronavirus and changes to Council services are shown below. You can also follow us on Facebook for updates.
The Wollongong area
It is important to remember that the Wollongong area, often called the Wollongong Local Government Area (LGA), reaches from Helensburgh in the north to Windang and Yallah in the south. See the Wollongong LGA Map PDF, 655.39 KB for an overview of our area.
Advice from NSW Health applies to all of this Wollongong area unless otherwise specified.
Reporting COVID-19 Public Health Issues
To report issues that relate to COVID-19 and Public Health Orders, please call the Police Assistance Line on 13 14 44 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Latest coronavirus media releases
- Public Gallery Reopens for Council Meetings 19/02/21
- Council Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update Friday 29 January 29/01/21
- Put symptoms to the test 05/01/21
- Council Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update Sunday 3 January 03/01/21
- Jubilee celebrations postponed for Botanic Garden 31/12/20
Older media releases are available on our News page.
Updates on Council services
Please note, when attending Council facilities:
- Wearing face masks is recommended but not compulsory
- All visitors must sign in with the Service NSW QR codes provided at each location.
Some of our community centres and halls have reopened, with conditions in place to meet public health orders. Others are partly operating, but are not accepting bookings from hirers.
A number of centres remain closed until further notice.
See our Community Centres and Halls page for details.
The links below are provided to assist local businesses responding to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
As conditions are changing quickly, you should monitor government announcements regularly for the latest advice and changes to rules for business operations.
- Australian Government website: essential information and updates related to COVID-19.
- Australian Government Treasury: support for businesses, including cash flow and financial relief
- Business.gov.au: Information, grants, services and support from across government to help your business succeed.
- Australian Taxation Office COVID-19 information
- Department of Health: updates and advice. You can also call the Department of Health on 1800 020 080.
- Australian Trade and Investment Commission: information for exporters. You can also call Austrade on 13 28 78 and follow the prompts for 'export enquiries' (within Australia).
- Department of Home Affairs: border and immigration information.
- Services Australia: support and information to help people affected by coronavirus. Includes Centrelink and Medicare information.
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority: advice for the maritime industry.
- NSW Government 24 Hour COVID-19 Hotline: 13 77 88. Businesses impacted by COVID-19 can call 13 28 46.
- NSW Government COVID-19 information and advice for community and businesses in NSW
- Business Connect: free advisory services
- SafeWork NSW: Coronavirus advice and guidance for NSW workplaces
- Service NSW information for business and employees, or call 13 28 46
- Fair Trading: FAQs on customer and business rights
- NSW Health: updates and advice for those in the health sector
- NSW Food Authority: advice for food businesses
- Department of Planning, Industry & Environment: updates on development rules to protect the health, safety and wellbeing of the public during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Liquor & Gaming NSW: coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQs for the liquor and gaming industries.
If you are looking to start a business, alter business operations to suit the changing situation, or just need general information about business planning rules, please see our Planning Research page. You can also email Council's Small Business Planning team for advice.
Assistance to Council's commercial tenants
To help businesses that are negatively impacted by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Council will consider applications for rent relief from commercial tenants of premises owned or managed by Council. See our Assistance to Council Tenants page for details.
Business response webinar series
To support our local business community during the COVID-19 pandemic, Council has partnered with the Illawarra Business Chamber to deliver a series of free webinars. This series is produced by local business experts, and focuses on adaptation.
Webinars can be viewed on Illawarra Business Chamber's YouTube channel.
Episode 1 – Getting Online ASAP: Our first episode guides you through establishing an e-commerce presence for the first time. Learn how to:
- Adapt your business to survive and thrive
- Change the delivery of your product or service
- Launch your business online, and
- Alter your marketing communications.
Episode 2 - Social Media Marketing in the Current Climate: This episode discusses the importance of social media marketing and explains how to promote your business and build a following across your social channels. Learn about:
- Where your audience are and where you should be showing up
- How to integrate social media with your website and other platforms,
- What to post and when to post it, and
- How to quickly adapt your marketing plan.
Episode 3 - Reducing Rental Stress: This episode aims to provide guidance on arguably the most complex and ambiguous aspect of business response to the current crisis, commercial tenancies, answering the questions at the forefront of many business owners' minds:
- What is the national code of conduct for tenants and landlords?
- Who does it apply to, and how does it work in practice?
- How should I approach my landlord?
Episode 4 - Managing cash flow: This episode guides us through the three key scenarios Illawarra businesses find themselves in, and what a sensible cashflow management strategy looks like for each scenario, including:
- The importance of cash flow in the current climate
- Practical tips for cash flow planning
- What your business can be doing right now and into the future.
Episode 5 – Planning the Way Forward: This episode walks through the essentials of a marketing plan to suit any cashflow position, how to take advantage of opportunities to affordably advertise and tactics to excel in a cluttered digital marketing environment.
- The importance of planning and the way forward out of hibernation
- The role of digital and PR as part of the marketing mix
- Mainstream advertising and professional practice marketing.
Beaton Park and Lakeside Leisure Centres are now open with a number of restrictions in place.
Please see our Leisure Centres pages for more information.
Our libraries are open, and bookings are no longer needed.
Some library services and activities are still limited. We also have limits on numbers and an enhanced cleaning program in place.
For more information, see the libraries' website.
All of our playgrounds and skateparks have reopened. People using these spaces must continue to follow NSW Government guidelines for public health and social distancing.
Our communal BBQ facilities are open. Please move away from BBQs as soon as you finish cooking so other people can use them.
The Vale Golf Course has reopened for pre-bookings only, and strict conditions apply to keep everyone safe. See The Vale Golf Course page for details.
Our Bulli, Corrimal and Windang Tourist Parks are operating with restrictions in place to meet public health orders. See the Tourist Parks website for details.
Wollongong Art Gallery is open with safety measures in place.
The Gallery will be open from 10am - 5pm Tuesday to Friday, and 12 - 4pm on weekends. A maximum of 50 people will be allowed at any one time.
For more information, visit the Gallery's website.
Wollongong Memorial Gardens’ offices are now open. Please make an appointment to see staff by phoning (02) 4227 7780.
Paying your Council rates
Council is providing a relief measure for residents and commercial operators who are experiencing financial hardship due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
There will be no interest charged on overdue rates until 1 January 2021.
See our Pay Your Rates page or call us on (02) 4227 7111 for more information about your rates.
Report an Issue
- Air or Water Pollution
- Animal Issues
- Building and Development Issues
- Drains and Stormwater Pits
- Food Issues
- Health Issues
- Injury or Damage Claims
- Noise Issues
- Park Maintenance Issues
- Playground and Sportsground Issues
- Roads and Footpaths
- Rubbish and Recycling Issues
- Traffic and Parking Issues
- Trees, Grass and Plants
- News and Alerts
- Join the Conversation
- Neighbourhood Forums
- Wollongong Living Books
- Activities at our Community Centres
- Aboriginal Communities
- Children and Families
- Young People
- Older People
- People with Disability
- Support for Carers
- Community Transport
- Multicultural Communities
- Refugee Communities
- LGBTIQ Communities
- Low Cost and Free Meals
- Reduce Waste
- Sustainable Food
- Energy and Water