Information and advice about Coronavirus (COVID-19) is evolving quickly. Wollongong City Council is monitoring and responding to this fast-moving situation.
We encourage everyone to follow the advice of the Australian Government and NSW Health when it comes to your personal health and wellbeing. The National Disability Insurance Service and Council for Intellectual Disability also have some useful information available online.
Council has plans in place to support the continued delivery of services to you. We are constantly reviewing our plans to make sure we are prepared for any situation.
However, as this situation unfolds we may need to change, reduce or postpone services and events at short notice. If this happens, we will let you know.
Updates about Coronavirus and changes to Council services are shown below. You can also follow us on Facebook for updates.
Coronavirus media releases
- Rate relief for our residents and businesses 06/04/20
- Accessing your Council meeting 06/04/20
- Beach season wraps up early 31/03/20
- Social distancing in place at Whyte’s Gully 31/03/20
- Russell Vale Golf Course Closed 30/03/20
- Council closes playspaces and skateparks 29/03/20
- Service changes to tourist parks 27/03/20
- Council support for our tenants 26/03/20
- Council closes supervised swimming pools 25/03/20
- Putting our community first Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update 23 March 23/03/20
- Beaton Park and Lakeside Leisure Centres update 23/03/20
- Important Update for our Community 19 March 19/03/20
- Coronavirus Update 13/03/20
- Council Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update Monday 16 March 16/03/20
- A Message To Our Community 16/03/20
Updates on Council services
Swim flags will come down early at our 17 patrolled beaches. The beach season will finish at 5pm Tuesday 31 March 2020, as part of our focus on supporting the Government’s social isolation and distancing advice.
See our media release for more details.
Remember, no flags = no swim.
Our Community Facilities are closed to the public until further notice.
Council staff will continue to work at Dapto, Thirroul and Corrimal community centres.
If you need to reach us you’re best to call (not email) us on the following numbers:
- Dapto (02) 4227 8877
- Thirroul (02) 4227 8181
- Corrimal (02) 4227 8180
The links below are provided to assist local businesses responding to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
As conditions are changing quickly, you should monitor government announcements regularly for the latest advice and changes to rules for business operations.
- Australian Government website: essential information and updates related to COVID-19.
- Australian Government Treasury: support for businesses, including cash flow and financial relief
- Business.gov.au: Information, grants, services and support from across government to help your business succeed.
- Australian Taxation Office COVID-19 information
- Department of Health: updates and advice. You can also call the Department of Health on 1800 020 080.
- Australian Trade and Investment Commission: information for exporters. You can also call Austrade on 13 28 78 and follow the prompts for 'export enquiries' (within Australia).
- Department of Home Affairs: border and immigration information.
- Services Australia: support and information to help people affected by coronavirus. Includes Centrelink and Medicare information.
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority: advice for the maritime industry.
- NSW Government 24 Hour COVID-19 Hotline: 13 77 88. Businesses impacted by COVID-19 can call 13 28 46.
- NSW Government COVID-19 information and advice for community and businesses in NSW
- Business Connect: free advisory services
- SafeWork NSW: Coronavirus advice and guidance for NSW workplaces
- Service NSW information for business and employees, or call 13 28 46
- Fair Trading: FAQs on customer and business rights
- NSW Health: updates and advice for those in the health sector
- NSW Food Authority: advice for food businesses
- Department of Planning, Industry & Environment: updates on development rules to protect the health, safety and wellbeing of the public during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Liquor & Gaming NSW: coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQs for the liquor and gaming industries.
If you are looking to start a business, alter business operations to suit the changing situation, or just need general information about business planning rules, please see our Planning Research page. You can also email Council's Small Business Planning team for advice.
The indoor pool, gyms, spa and sauna, hall and athletics track at Beaton Park and Lakeside Leisure Centres are closed until further notice.
All our libraries are closed until further notice.
Thank you for your understanding in these challenging and extraordinary times.
Library staff will be available on the phone. Please call (02) 4227 7414 if you need advice on how to explore the wealth of resources available online through the Libraries' website.
All of our playgrounds, skate parks and outdoor exercise equipment are closed until further notice.
The Vale Golf Course, Russel Vale Golf Club and the on-site pro shop are also closed.
All of our freshwater chlorinated pools and saltwater pools will be closed until further notice from Thursday 26 March 2020 due to public health concerns for Coronavirus.
Rock pools will still be available, but people using them are asked to follow government advice for social distancing.
For more information, you can read our media release.
Our Bulli, Corrimal and Windang Tourist Parks will be closed to anyone who is not a long-term guest, or who needs accommodation for the purpose of essential travel only.
Campsites will no longer be available, new caravan sites will not be hired, and public amenities have been closed. For more information, read our media release
Wollongong Art Gallery is closed until further notice.
Wollongong Botanic Garden remains open.
We have put the following measures in place until further notice:
- All major events with more than 500 people, including the Easter Family Fun Day, will not go ahead.
- All education programs and school excursions are on hold until further notice. Please contact your school directly for any advice on school excursions.
- All our public programs, including tours, workshops and community events have been suspended until further notice. If you have purchased tickets to one of our programs, you will receive an email a few days before the event confirming the cancellation and refunds will be issued.
- All public-facing volunteer activities are suspended. This includes the weekly Garden Discovery Tours and Budding Bookworms programs.
- All Friends of the Botanic Garden activities are suspended.
- For events and activities hosted by third parties, such as Bird Watching Walks, please contact the operator directly.
- Greenplan Nursery Plant sales have been suspended.
- Pre-booked wedding ceremonies are currently still going ahead. We are taking tentative bookings for future weddings.
- Standard opening hours of food and beverage operators on our sites may change. For information regarding current opening hours of Garden Grounds Café in the Botanic Garden, or Mt Keira Lookout Kiosk, please contact the outlet directly.
- Our office reception remains open to public walk-ins, however we encourage you to call us on (02) 4227 7854, email us or visit our website for more information first.
We ask you to follow the advice of NSW Health and if you’re unwell to not visit the Garden.
Thank you for your patience during this time.
Wollongong Memorial Gardens' offices are closed to the public.
Our staff are available to provide support by phone on (02) 4227 7780 or by email.
The Mothers' Day Memorial service has been cancelled.
Wollongong Youth Centre is closed until further notice.
Paying your Council rates
If you’re struggling to pay your rates, you can apply online for rates hardship relief.
See our Pay Your Rates page for details or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
Report an Issue
- Air or Water Pollution
- Animal Issues
- Building and Development Issues
- Drains and Stormwater Pits
- Food and Health Issues
- Injury or Damage Claims
- Noise Issues
- Park Maintenance Issues
- Playground and Sportsground Issues
- Roads and Footpaths
- Rubbish and Recycling Issues
- Traffic and Parking Issues
- Trees, Grass and Plants
- News and Alerts
- Join the Conversation
- Neighbourhood Forums
- Wollongong Living Books
- Activities at our Community Centres
- Aboriginal Communities
- Children and Families
- Young People
- Older People
- People with Disability
- Support for Carers
- Community Transport
- Multicultural Communities
- Refugee Communities
- LGBTIQ Communities
- Low Cost and Free Meals
- Sustainable Living