Information and advice about Coronavirus (COVID-19) is evolving quickly. Wollongong City Council is monitoring and responding to this fast-moving situation.
We encourage everyone to follow the advice of the Australian Government and NSW Health when it comes to your personal health and wellbeing. The National Disability Insurance Service and Council for Intellectual Disability also have some useful information available online.
Council has plans in place to support the continued delivery of services to you. We are constantly reviewing our plans to make sure we are prepared for any situation.
However, as this situation unfolds we may need to change, reduce or postpone services and events at short notice. If this happens, we will let you know.
Updates about Coronavirus and changes to Council services are shown below. You can also follow us on Facebook for updates.
Coronavirus media releases
- Council offers financial boost to sporting clubs 31/08/20
- Wollongong Art Gallery Reopens 01/07/20
- Council closes playspaces and skateparks 29/03/20
- Coronavirus Update 13/03/20
- Council closes supervised swimming pools 25/03/20
- Unanderra Library & Community Centre gets a new look 22/06/20
- Customer Service and Wollongong Library to reopen 05/06/20
- Keep Safe this long weekend 03/06/20
- Council Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update Monday 16 March 16/03/20
- Extraordinary Council Meeting on 11 May 07/05/20
Older media releases are available on our News page.
Updates on Council services
North Wollongong Beach is patrolled 9am - 4pm daily.
Beach visitors must continue to follow NSW Public Health Orders for social distancing.
All of our other beaches are unpatrolled until the next swim season begins on Saturday 26 September 2020.
Some of our community centres and halls have reopened, with conditions in place to meet public health orders. Others are partly operating, but are not accepting bookings from hirers.
A number of centres remain closed until further notice.
See our Community Centres and Halls page for details.
The links below are provided to assist local businesses responding to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
As conditions are changing quickly, you should monitor government announcements regularly for the latest advice and changes to rules for business operations.
- Australian Government website: essential information and updates related to COVID-19.
- Australian Government Treasury: support for businesses, including cash flow and financial relief
- Business.gov.au: Information, grants, services and support from across government to help your business succeed.
- Australian Taxation Office COVID-19 information
- Department of Health: updates and advice. You can also call the Department of Health on 1800 020 080.
- Australian Trade and Investment Commission: information for exporters. You can also call Austrade on 13 28 78 and follow the prompts for 'export enquiries' (within Australia).
- Department of Home Affairs: border and immigration information.
- Services Australia: support and information to help people affected by coronavirus. Includes Centrelink and Medicare information.
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority: advice for the maritime industry.
- NSW Government 24 Hour COVID-19 Hotline: 13 77 88. Businesses impacted by COVID-19 can call 13 28 46.
- NSW Government COVID-19 information and advice for community and businesses in NSW
- Business Connect: free advisory services
- SafeWork NSW: Coronavirus advice and guidance for NSW workplaces
- Service NSW information for business and employees, or call 13 28 46
- Fair Trading: FAQs on customer and business rights
- NSW Health: updates and advice for those in the health sector
- NSW Food Authority: advice for food businesses
- Department of Planning, Industry & Environment: updates on development rules to protect the health, safety and wellbeing of the public during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Liquor & Gaming NSW: coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQs for the liquor and gaming industries.
The NSW Government has also prepared a COVID-19 Business Support Fact Sheet PDF, 141.19 KB outlining resources to support businesses.
If you are looking to start a business, alter business operations to suit the changing situation, or just need general information about business planning rules, please see our Planning Research page. You can also email Council's Small Business Planning team for advice.
Assistance to Council's commercial tenants
To help businesses that are negatively impacted by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Council will consider applications for rent relief from commercial tenants of premises owned or managed by Council. See our Assistance to Council Tenants page for details.
Business response webinar series
To support our local business community during the COVID-19 pandemic, Council has partnered with the Illawarra Business Chamber to deliver a series of free webinars. This series is produced by local business experts, and focuses on adaptation.
Webinars can be viewed on Illawarra Business Chamber's YouTube channel.
Episode 1 – Getting Online ASAP: Our first episode guides you through establishing an e-commerce presence for the first time. Learn how to:
- Adapt your business to survive and thrive
- Change the delivery of your product or service
- Launch your business online, and
- Alter your marketing communications.
Episode 2 - Social Media Marketing in the Current Climate: This episode discusses the importance of social media marketing and explains how to promote your business and build a following across your social channels. Learn about:
- Where your audience are and where you should be showing up
- How to integrate social media with your website and other platforms,
- What to post and when to post it, and
- How to quickly adapt your marketing plan.
Episode 3 - Reducing Rental Stress: This episode aims to provide guidance on arguably the most complex and ambiguous aspect of business response to the current crisis, commercial tenancies, answering the questions at the forefront of many business owners' minds:
- What is the national code of conduct for tenants and landlords?
- Who does it apply to, and how does it work in practice?
- How should I approach my landlord?
Episode 4 - Managing cash flow: This episode guides us through the three key scenarios Illawarra businesses find themselves in, and what a sensible cashflow management strategy looks like for each scenario, including:
- The importance of cash flow in the current climate
- Practical tips for cash flow planning
- What your business can be doing right now and into the future.
Episode 5 – Planning the Way Forward: This episode walks through the essentials of a marketing plan to suit any cashflow position, how to take advantage of opportunities to affordably advertise and tactics to excel in a cluttered digital marketing environment.
- The importance of planning and the way forward out of hibernation
- The role of digital and PR as part of the marketing mix
- Mainstream advertising and professional practice marketing.
Beaton Park and Lakeside Leisure Centres are now open with a number of restrictions in place.
Please see our Leisure Centres pages for more information.
A staged reopening of our libraries has begun.
There will be a limit on numbers at each library.
Libraries will be open from Monday to Saturday, but you must book ahead by phone before your visit.
Visits will be available in 50 minute slots. Use the numbers below to make a booking.
- Corrimal Library phone 4227 8179
- Dapto Library phone 4227 8555
- Helensburgh Library phone 4294 2185
- Thirroul Library phone 4227 8191
- Unanderra Library phone 4271 1217
- Warrawong Library phone 4227 8133
- Wollongong Library phone 4227 7414.
We'll have an enhanced cleaning program in place, and everyone will be asked to sanitise their hands before entering the library.
For more information, see the libraries' website.
All of our playgrounds and skateparks have reopened. People using these spaces must continue to follow NSW Government guidelines for public health and social distancing.
Our communal barbeque facilities are currently closed.
The Vale Golf Course has reopened for pre-bookings only, and strict conditions apply to keep everyone safe. See The Vale Golf Course page for details.
The Continental Baths Ocean Pool and Corrimal and Dapto Heated Pools remain open with some restrictions and all swimmers are required to register their contact details in accordance with NSW Public Health Order requirements. See our Accessing our pools page for details.
Beaton Park heated pool remains open with restrictions in place.
All our other community chlorinated and saltwater pools remain closed.
Our Bulli, Corrimal and Windang Tourist Parks are operating with restrictions in place to meet public health orders. See the Tourist Parks website for details.
Wollongong Art Gallery has reopened with safety measures in place.
The Gallery will be open from 10am - 5pm Tuesday to Friday, and 12 - 4pm on weekends. A maximum of 50 people will be allowed at any one time.
For more information, visit the Gallery's website.
Wollongong Botanic Garden remains open.
We have put the following measures in place until further notice:
- All major events with more than 500 people will not go ahead.
- All education programs and school excursions are on hold until further notice. Please contact your school directly for any advice on school excursions.
- Most of our public programs, including tours, workshops and community events have been suspended until further notice. Check our website for current events.
- All public-facing volunteer activities are suspended. This includes the weekly Garden Discovery Tours and Budding Bookworms programs.
- For events and activities hosted by third parties, such as Bird Watching Walks, please contact the operator directly.
- Pre-booked wedding ceremonies are currently still going ahead. We are taking tentative bookings for future weddings.
- Standard opening hours of food and beverage operators on our sites may change. For information regarding current opening hours of Garden Grounds Café in the Botanic Garden, or Mt Keira Lookout Kiosk, please contact the outlet directly.
- Our office reception remains open to public walk-ins, however we encourage you to call us on (02) 4227 7854, email us or visit our website for more information first.
We ask you to follow the advice of NSW Health and if you’re unwell to not visit the Garden.
Thank you for your patience during this time.
Wollongong Memorial Gardens’ offices are now open. Please make an appointment to see staff by phoning (02) 4227 7780.
Paying your Council rates
Council is providing a relief measure for residents and commercial operators who are experiencing financial hardship due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
There will be no interest charged on overdue rates until 1 January 2021.
The deadline for the first instalment (or payment in full) has also been extended until 30 September 2020.
See our Pay Your Rates page or call us on (02) 4227 7111 for more information about your rates.
Report an Issue
- Air or Water Pollution
- Animal Issues
- Building and Development Issues
- Drains and Stormwater Pits
- Food and Health Issues
- Injury or Damage Claims
- Noise Issues
- Park Maintenance Issues
- Playground and Sportsground Issues
- Roads and Footpaths
- Rubbish and Recycling Issues
- Traffic and Parking Issues
- Trees, Grass and Plants
- News and Alerts
- Join the Conversation
- Neighbourhood Forums
- Wollongong Living Books
- Activities at our Community Centres
- Aboriginal Communities
- Children and Families
- Young People
- Older People
- People with Disability
- Support for Carers
- Community Transport
- Multicultural Communities
- Refugee Communities
- LGBTIQ Communities
- Low Cost and Free Meals
- Sustainable Living