Virtually Something To Do
Looking for something to fill your afternoons? With the current stay-at-home orders, Wollongong Youth Services are offering a series of virtual activities for young people to create, learn and connect, by jumping online from the comfort of home.
Young people can access a range of workshops from theatre sports, guitar lessons, boardgame breakouts and much more to pass the time. All the activities are free for Wollongong’s local young people aged between 12-24 and supervised by members of the Youth Services team.
“Youth Services provide such a variety of positive experiences for those growing up in Wollongong,” Wollongong City Lord Mayor Councillor Gordon Bradbery AM said.
“Even though the stay-at-home orders are preventing in-person activities, having these sessions online opens up a world of opportunity for our young people.
To gain online access to any of the workshops, contact the Wollongong Youth Services team via direct message @WollongongYouthServices on Instagram or Facebook or give them a call on (02) 4227 8222 between Monday-Friday 9am-5pm. Alternatively you can also reach the team through email firstname.lastname@example.org to book in a session. Those looking to attend the sessions may be asked for a school ID or other information to confirm their age and location.
“Individuals that previously may have been limited in accessing face to face services because of distance or other barriers stopping them from visiting in-person, can now visit our Youth Centre virtually and experience our free programs, while at the same time building social skills and new interests.” Cr Bradbery said.
Here are 9 free activities you can unlock online from Wollongong Youth Services:
- Rainbow League + Qmunity: Monday 4-5.30pm – An online social space for same-sex attracted, gender diverse or questioning young people. The Rainbow League is for young people aged 16-24, while Qmunity caters for younger people aged 12-15.
- Create: Tuesday 3-4pm - A space to get creative, try new art forms + experiment with new ideas.
- Teenz Connect: Tuesday 3-5pm – Are you up for the challenge? Join us online for board games like Tabletop Simulator.
- Teenz Connect: Thursday 3-5pm – Connect and catch up, plus new activities to get your mind and body moving.
- Acting Up: Wednesday 3.30-5.30pm – Get involved in theatre sports, drama activities and performance. Gain skills and confidence in fun interactive activities.
- Guitar 101: Wednesday 3.30-4.30pm - Want to play a guitar but not sure where to start? Learn the basics and be playing songs before you know it with these half hour sessions.
- The Fine Tune Network: Wednesday 4.30-5.30pm – Chime in and chat all things music. Share tracks, review new music, listen to tunes, and connect with other music fans.
- Team Ignite: Thursday 4.30-5.30pm – Check in and conversations about how to boost the music and performance scene and learn audio visual skills for young people.
- On Stage – Replay: Thursday 7pm – Check out Youth Services social channels where we'll be replaying live recordings of local musicians and bands.