Information and advice about Coronavirus (COVID-19) is evolving quickly. Wollongong City Council is monitoring and responding to this fast-moving situation.
We encourage everyone to follow the advice of the Australian Government and NSW Health when it comes to your personal health and wellbeing. The National Disability Insurance Service and Council for Intellectual Disability also have some useful information available online.
Council has plans in place to support the continued delivery of services to you. We are constantly reviewing our plans to make sure we are prepared for any situation.
However, as this situation unfolds we may need to change, reduce or postpone services and events at short notice. If this happens, we will let you know.
Updates about Coronavirus and changes to Council services are shown below. You can also follow us on Facebook for updates.
Coronavirus media releases
- Training can resume on Council’s outdoor sportsfields 22/05/20
- Council Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update Monday 16 March 16/03/20
- Coronavirus Update 13/03/20
- Extraordinary Council Meeting on 11 May 07/05/20
- Accessing your Council meeting 06/04/20
- Join us, online, for tonight's Meeting 27/04/20
- Getting back in the swim 18/05/20
- Recognising Ramadan 24/04/20
- Social distancing in place at Whyte’s Gully 31/03/20
- Council support for our tenants 26/03/20
- Coronavirus Update Friday 8 May 08/05/20
- Putting our community first Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update 23 March 23/03/20
- Beaton Park and Lakeside Leisure Centres update 23/03/20
- A Message To Our Community 16/03/20
- Rate relief for our residents and businesses 06/04/20
- Council invests in community & creativity 14/05/20
- Beach season wraps up early 31/03/20
- Know your on-leash beach times 30/04/20
- Playgrounds and selected pools to reopen, flags back at North Beach 15/05/20
- Stay safe, and at home this Easter 09/04/20
- Important Update for our Community 19 March 19/03/20
- Dog-on-beach-with-ball.jpg 30/04/20
- Service changes to tourist parks 27/03/20
- Temporary closure of selected lookouts and car parks for Easter 09/04/20
- Russell Vale Golf Course Closed 30/03/20
- Keep socially distant – even in good weather 23/04/20
- Council closes playspaces and skateparks 29/03/20
- Council closes supervised swimming pools 25/03/20
Updates on Council services
North Wollongong Beach will be patrolled 9am - 4pm daily, from Saturday 16 May 2020. Beach visitors must continue to follow NSW Public Health Orders for social distancing.
All of our other beaches are unpatrolled until the next swim season begins on Saturday 26 September 2020.
Our Community Facilities are closed to the public until further notice.
Council staff will continue to work at Dapto, Thirroul and Corrimal community centres.
If you need to reach us you’re best to call (not email) us on the following numbers:
- Dapto (02) 4227 8877
- Thirroul (02) 4227 8181
- Corrimal (02) 4227 8180
The links below are provided to assist local businesses responding to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
As conditions are changing quickly, you should monitor government announcements regularly for the latest advice and changes to rules for business operations.
- Australian Government website: essential information and updates related to COVID-19.
- Australian Government Treasury: support for businesses, including cash flow and financial relief
- Business.gov.au: Information, grants, services and support from across government to help your business succeed.
- Australian Taxation Office COVID-19 information
- Department of Health: updates and advice. You can also call the Department of Health on 1800 020 080.
- Australian Trade and Investment Commission: information for exporters. You can also call Austrade on 13 28 78 and follow the prompts for 'export enquiries' (within Australia).
- Department of Home Affairs: border and immigration information.
- Services Australia: support and information to help people affected by coronavirus. Includes Centrelink and Medicare information.
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority: advice for the maritime industry.
- NSW Government 24 Hour COVID-19 Hotline: 13 77 88. Businesses impacted by COVID-19 can call 13 28 46.
- NSW Government COVID-19 information and advice for community and businesses in NSW
- Business Connect: free advisory services
- SafeWork NSW: Coronavirus advice and guidance for NSW workplaces
- Service NSW information for business and employees, or call 13 28 46
- Fair Trading: FAQs on customer and business rights
- NSW Health: updates and advice for those in the health sector
- NSW Food Authority: advice for food businesses
- Department of Planning, Industry & Environment: updates on development rules to protect the health, safety and wellbeing of the public during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Liquor & Gaming NSW: coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQs for the liquor and gaming industries.
The NSW Government has also prepared a COVID-19 Business Support Fact Sheet PDF, 141.19 KB outlining resources to support businesses.
If you are looking to start a business, alter business operations to suit the changing situation, or just need general information about business planning rules, please see our Planning Research page. You can also email Council's Small Business Planning team for advice.
Business response webinar series
To support our local business community during the COVID-19 pandemic, Council has partnered with the Illawarra Business Chamber to deliver a series of free webinars. This series is produced by local business experts, and focuses on adaptation.
Webinars can be viewed on Illawarra Business Chamber's YouTube channel.
Episode 1 – Getting Online ASAP: Our first episode guides you through establishing an e-commerce presence for the first time. Learn how to:
- Adapt your business to survive and thrive
- Change the delivery of your product or service
- Launch your business online, and
- Alter your marketing communications.
Episode 2 - Social Media Marketing in the Current Climate: This episode discusses the importance of social media marketing and explains how to promote your business and build a following across your social channels. Learn about:
- Where your audience are and where you should be showing up
- How to integrate social media with your website and other platforms,
- What to post and when to post it, and
- How to quickly adapt your marketing plan.
Episode 3 - Reducing Rental Stress: This episode aims to provide guidance on arguably the most complex and ambiguous aspect of business response to the current crisis, commercial tenancies, answering the questions at the forefront of many business owners' minds:
- What is the national code of conduct for tenants and landlords?
- Who does it apply to, and how does it work in practice?
- How should I approach my landlord?
Episode 4 - Managing cash flow: This episode guides us through the three key scenarios Illawarra businesses find themselves in, and what a sensible cashflow management strategy looks like for each scenario, including:
- The importance of cash flow in the current climate
- Practical tips for cash flow planning
- What your business can be doing right now and into the future.
Episode 5 – Planning the Way Forward: This episode walks through the essentials of a marketing plan to suit any cashflow position, how to take advantage of opportunities to affordably advertise and tactics to excel in a cluttered digital marketing environment.
- The importance of planning and the way forward out of hibernation
- The role of digital and PR as part of the marketing mix
- Mainstream advertising and professional practice marketing.
The indoor pool, gyms, spa and sauna, hall and athletics track at Beaton Park and Lakeside Leisure Centres are closed until further notice.
All our libraries are closed until further notice.
Thank you for your understanding in these challenging and extraordinary times.
Library staff will be available on the phone. Please call (02) 4227 7414 if you need advice on how to explore the wealth of resources available online through the Libraries' website.
All of our playgrounds and skateparks have reopened. People using these spaces must continue to follow NSW Government guidelines for public health and social distancing.
The Vale Golf Course has reopened for pre-bookings only, and strict conditions apply to keep everyone safe. See The Vale Golf Course page for details.
We've reopened the Continental, Corrimal and Dapto pools to pre-booked swimmers only. See our Make a Pool Booking page for details.
All of our other freshwater and saltwater pools remain closed.
Our Bulli, Corrimal and Windang Tourist Parks will be closed to anyone who is not a long-term guest, or who needs accommodation for the purpose of essential travel only.
Campsites will no longer be available, new caravan sites will not be hired, and public amenities have been closed. For more information, read our media release
Wollongong Art Gallery is closed until further notice.
Wollongong Botanic Garden remains open.
We have put the following measures in place until further notice:
- All major events with more than 500 people, including the Easter Family Fun Day, will not go ahead.
- All education programs and school excursions are on hold until further notice. Please contact your school directly for any advice on school excursions.
- All our public programs, including tours, workshops and community events have been suspended until further notice. If you have purchased tickets to one of our programs, you will receive an email a few days before the event confirming the cancellation and refunds will be issued.
- All public-facing volunteer activities are suspended. This includes the weekly Garden Discovery Tours and Budding Bookworms programs.
- All Friends of the Botanic Garden activities are suspended.
- For events and activities hosted by third parties, such as Bird Watching Walks, please contact the operator directly.
- Greenplan Nursery Plant sales have been suspended.
- Pre-booked wedding ceremonies are currently still going ahead. We are taking tentative bookings for future weddings.
- Standard opening hours of food and beverage operators on our sites may change. For information regarding current opening hours of Garden Grounds Café in the Botanic Garden, or Mt Keira Lookout Kiosk, please contact the outlet directly.
- Our office reception remains open to public walk-ins, however we encourage you to call us on (02) 4227 7854, email us or visit our website for more information first.
We ask you to follow the advice of NSW Health and if you’re unwell to not visit the Garden.
Thank you for your patience during this time.
Wollongong Memorial Gardens' offices are closed to the public.
Our staff are available to provide support by phone on (02) 4227 7780 or by email.
The Mothers' Day Memorial service has been cancelled.
Wollongong Youth Centre is closed until further notice.
Paying your Council rates
Council is providing a relief measure for residents and commercial operators who are experiencing financial hardship due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
If you are unable to pay your rates by the due date, we will allow you to defer your rates and annual charges until 31 August 2020. This will also be an interest-free period.
You do not need to contact Council to defer your rates. This will happen automatically if your rates are not paid by the due date.
See our Pay Your Rates page or call us on (02) 4227 7111 for more information about your rates.