The Minister for Local Government has made an order to postpone the Local Government Elections until Saturday 4 December 2021.
Our current Councillors and Lord Mayor will continue to hold their civic offices until the elections.
Local Government elections in New South Wales are usually held every four years. However, the elections planned for 2020 were postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
We will update this page as more information is available.
For more information about these elections, please visit the NSW Electoral Commission website or call 1300 135 736.
If you're a resident in the Wollongong City Council Local Government Area you can check if your enrolment details are up to date with the Australian Electoral Commission.
- NSW Electoral Commission: Six steps to being a candidate
- Office of Local Government website
- Office of Local Government - Stand for your community: Candidate Guide
- Office of Local Government - Stand for your community: A Guide for Woman
- Office of Local Government - Stand for your community: A guide for Aboriginal and Torress Strait Islander People
- Office of Local Government - Stand for your community: A guide for culturally and linguistically diverse people
Women for Election
NSW has fewer female Councillors than any other Australian state. Women for Election Australia provides information and support to encourage more women to run for public office.
Online candidate training tool
If you're considering standing as a candidate, the Office of Local Government has launched a comprehensive online candidate training tool.
This interactive resource gives you detailed information about running for election and the roles and responsibilities of councils and councillors. It's designed to give election candidates the know-how to launch their election campaign and serve their community to the best of their ability if they are elected.
The 2021 election for Wollongong City Council will be managed by the NSW Electoral Commission.
People who would like to work at the September local government elections can now submit an application through the Commission’s 'expression of interest’ website.
Applicants can work on the day (Saturday 4 December) in a polling place, or for longer periods in a returning office or in one of the pre-poll voting centres.
For more information about working at elections, please visit the NSW Electoral Commission website or call 1300 135 736.
To reduce risks related to COVID-19, some changes to voting options have been introduced for the 2021 Local Government elections only. These changes will give people more options to vote early in-person during the pre-poll voting period.
Pre-poll voting will be available from Monday 22 November to Friday 3 December 2021.
Pre-poll locations and voting times will be available on the NSW Electoral Commission website when they are confirmed.
The Wollongong Local Government Area Returning Office is located at 65-69 Keira Street, Wollongong NSW 2500.
For the 2021 Local Government elections, you will only be able to vote in-person in your council area.
Use the address search, to find the council or ward page that matches your address. If you have moved to a new area since you last voted, you should check your enrolment and update your address if necessary.
Online and operator assisted voting (iVote)
You may be eligible to use iVote, an online voting option, at this election. Learn more about iVote and check if you're eligible by visiting the NSW Electoral Commission's iVote page.
|Monday 22 November 2021||iVote applications and voting opens|
|Saturday 4 December 2021 |
|iVote applications close at 1pm|
iVote voting closes at 6pm
|Monday 6 December 2021||iVote receipt portal closes at 6pm|
Postal vote applications are now open.
You can apply online, or download and return an application form. Visit the Online Postal Vote Application page to get started.
|Tuesday 26 October 2021||Application for postal vote packs open|
|Monday 8 November 2021||Mailing of postal voting packs starts|
|Monday 29 November 2021||Receipt of postal vote applications close at 5pm. |
Applications received after this time will not receive a postal vote pack.
|Friday 17 December 2021||Completed postal votes returned by 6pm|
- Your Council Officials
- 2021 Local Government Elections
- Council Meetings
Access to Information
- Agency Information Guide
- Contracts Register
- Contracts Register - Class 1
- Contracts Register - Class 2
- Contracts Register - Class 3
- Council Position Statements Register
- Council Voting Register
- Current Leases and Licences
- Delegations Register
- Designated Officers
- Development Application Register
- Development Consents
- Development Contributions Register
- Disclosure Log
- Graffiti Removal Register
- Investments Register
- Land Register
- Planning Agreements Register
- Political Donations and Gifts
- Tree Removal Register
- Variation to Development Standards Register
- Jobs at Council
- Fees and Charges
- Plans and Reports
- Council Policies
- Corporate Governance
Committees and Groups
- Aboriginal Reference Group
- Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee
- Australia Day Committee
- Community Safety Reference Group
- Cycling Advisory Groups
- Floodplain Committees
- Lake Illawarra Estuary Management Committee
- Sports and Facilities Reference Group
- Traffic Committee
- Walking, Cycling and Mobility Reference Group
- West Dapto Review Committee
- Wollongong Heritage Reference Group
- Southern Regional Planning Panel
- Wollongong Local Planning Panel
- Community Land