Make your garden greener by picking up some gems from our Native Plant Sales.
We offer a wide range of ground covers, grasses, trees and shrubs that are native to the Wollongong area, as well as other Australian natives. You can check our plant list below a week before each sale to find out what will be available. Worm farms and compost bins can also be bought at our sales.
Our expert horticulturalists are on hand at each sale to help with advice about plant selection for your garden.
The Friends of Wollongong Botanic Garden also hold a stall at our sales. Plants available from the Friends vary, and can include herbs or exotic plants. Profits go towards supporting a range of projects for the Garden.
Our next plant sales are shown below, or see our calendar for a full list of sales and other events.
Below is the plant list for 20 November 2020.
Plants are listed with their scientific name in italics, followed by the common name in brackets.
Illawarra Local Native Species
- Acacia maidenii (Maidens Wattle)
- Acmena smithii var. minor (Dwarf Lilly Pilly)
- Ajuga australis (Australian Bugle)
- Alphitonia excelsa (Red Ash)
- Alpinia caerulea (Native Ginger)
- Archontophoenix cunninghamiana (Bangalow Palm)
- Asplenium bulbiferum (Mother Spleenwort)
- Backhousia myrtifolia (Cinnamon Myrtle)
- Banksia integrifolia (Coast Banksia)
- Banksia robur (Swamp Banksia)
- Billardiera scandens (Apple Berry)
- Blechnum cartilagineum (Gristle Fern)
- Blechnum nudum (Fishbone Water Fern)
- Brachyscome angustifolia (Grass Daisy)
- Brachyscome multifida (Rock Daisy)
- Breynia oblongifolia (Coffee Bush)
- Callitris rhomboidea (Port Jackson Pine)
- Carex appressa (Tall Sedge)
- Carex brunnea (Greater Brown Sedge)
- Carex longibracteata (Drooping Sedge)
- Ceratopetalum gummiferum (NSW Christmas Bush)
- Chrysocephalum apiculatum (Yellow Buttons)
- Clerodendrum tomentosum (Hairy Clerodendrum)
- Correa alba (White Correa)
- Cupaniopsis anacardioides (Tuckeroo)
- Cyathea cooperi (Scaly Tree Fern)
- Deeringia amaranthoides (Shrubby Deeringia)
- Dianella caerulea (Blue Flax-lily)
- Dodonaea angustifolia (Sand Olive)
- Doodia aspera (Rasp Fern)
- Doryanthes excelsa (Gymea Lily)
- Doryphora sassafras (NSW Sassafras)
- Echinopogon caespitosus (Tufted Hedgehog Grass)
- Emmenosperma alphitonioidoes (Yellow Ash)
- Ethretia accuminata (Koda)
- Ficinia nodosa (Knobby Club-rush)
- Ficus rubiginosa (Port Jackson Fig)
- Ficus superba (Deciduous Fig)
- Goodia lotifolia (Golden Tip)
- Goodenia ovata-prostrate (Hop Goodenia)
- Hardenbergia violacea (Purple Coral Pea)
- Hedycarya angustifolia (Austral Mulberry)
- Hibbertia obtusifolia (Hoary Guinea Flower)
- Homalanthus stillingifolius (Small-leaved Bleeding Heart)
- Isotoma axillaris (Blue Stars)
- Jacksonia scoparia (Dogwood)
- Juncus kraussii (Sea Rush)
- Kennedia rubicunda (Dusky Coral Pea)
- Kunzea ambigua (Tick Bush)
- Leptospermum morrisonii (Tea Tree)
- Libertia paniculata (Branching Grass-Flag)
- Livistona australis (Cabbage Tree Palm)
- Lomandra longifolia (Spiny-headed Mat-rush)
- Lomatia myricoides (River Lomatia)
- Maclura cochinensis (Cockspur Thorn)
- Melaleuca ericifolia (Swamp Paperbark)
- Meleleuca hypericifolia (Hillock Bush)
- Microleana stipoides (Weeping Grass)
- Olearia tomentosa (Toothed Daisy-bush)
- Olearia viscidula (Viscid Daisy Bush)
- Parachidendron pruinosum (Snow Wood)
- Pelargonium australe (Native Storksbill)
- Pennisetum alopecuroides (Swamp Foxtail Grass)
- Poa labillardierei (Tussock-grass)
- Podocarpus elatus (Plum Pine)
- Pratia pedunculata (Matted Pratia)
- Prostanthera incisa var. sieberi (Cut-leaf Mintbush)
- Rhagodia candolleana (Coastal Salt Bush)
- Sambucus australasica (Native Elderberry)
- Scaevola calendulacea (Dune Fan Flower)
- Sloanea australis (Blush Alder)
- Stipa ramossima (Stout Bamboo Grass)
- Telopea speciosissima (NSW Warratah)
- Tetragonia tetragonoides (Warrigal Greens)
- Tristaniopsis laurina (Water Gum)
Australian Native Species
- Anigozanthos (Kangaroo Paw (green form))
- Anigozanthos cultivars (Kangaroo Paw)
- Callistemon sp and cultivars (Bottlebrush)
- Cordyline petiolaris (Broad-leaved Palm Lily)
- Correa sp. and cultivars (Native Fuschia)
- Davidsonia pruriens (Davidson's Plum)
- Elaeocarpus reticulatus (Prima Donna)
- Graptophyllum illicifolium (Mt Blackwood Holly)
- Grevillea sp and cultivars (Grevillea)
- Harpullia pendula (Tulipwood)
- Leptospermum sp. and cultivars (Tea Tree)
- Lomandra hystrix (Green Mat-rush)
- Myporum parvifolium (Creeping Boobialla)
- Pratia puberula (Alpine Pratia)
- Syzgium sp. and cultivars (Lillypilly)
- Thryptomene saxicola (F. C. Payne)
- Verticordia plumosa (Plumed Featherflower)
- Westringia 'Wynyabbie Gem' (Coastal Rosemary)
- Zieria prostrata (Carpet Star)
Current prices for our Native Plant Sales are shown below. Prices include GST.
You can pay by card (not AMEX) or cheque. Cash is not accepted.
Bring your current rates notice as proof that you’re a resident of the Wollongong City Council area to buy plants at these sales.
Please note, a 0.5% merchant fee applies to all payments made by credit/debit card.
We happily accept the return of pots from any plants you've bought at one of our sales, and we will reuse them.
Please note, we don't accept damaged pots or any pots that were bought elsewhere.
This program is on hold until February 2021
Every financial year, not-for-profit primary and secondary schools, and community centres operating on community land in the Wollongong local government area can request up to 30 plants to be donated from the Botanic Garden's Greenplan Nursery.
We cannot accommodate requests for specific plants. The donation will include a mixture of native grasses, ground covers, trees and shrubs from our available supplies. If you have a specific plant request, you can purchase plants directly from the nursery as a special order (see 'Purchasing Plants' below) or come along to one of our sale days.
Submit your donation request
If you are interested in receiving free plants for your school or community centre please complete the following:
- Email us to request a donation. Note: we cannot accommodate requests for specific plants.
- Once your request has been approved, we will contact you to arrange a collection time. All orders for the remainder of the year will be scheduled for collection early in the new year when stock will be at its best.
Collecting plant donations
Bring a letterhead from the organisation or school authorising you to collect the plants on their behalf, along with photo ID. Plants cannot be collected without this.
Collections must be pre-booked. Collection times are Monday to Friday 7.30am to 9am, 9.30am to 12pm, or 12.30pm to 2pm.
- Visit our Nursery: 63 Northfields Avenue in Keiraville (Gate 8) at your agreed collection date and time (see above).
- Make sure you have an authorisation letter and photo ID.
- If the gate is locked when you arrive, call 0419 273 818.