Wollongong City Libraries are now open. Read more.

Fernhill

Parish: Woonona
County: Camden

Fernhill is a small suburb north of Wollongong, near Fairy Meadow and Towradgi.

We're currently working on more information for this page.

Local communities of Aboriginal people were the original inhabitants and Traditional Custodians of Illawarra Land. Their dialect is a variant of the Dharawal language.

Before European settlement, the Aboriginal people of the region lived in small family groups with complicated social structures and close associations with specific areas.

Suburb boundaries do not reflect the cultural boundaries of the local Aboriginal community.

Traditional Custodians today are descendants of the original inhabitants and have ongoing spiritual and cultural ties to the Land and waterways where their ancestors lived.

DateEvent
1956New wing to St Paul's Church of England hall at Fernhill officially blessed and opened by Most Rev. H. W. K. Mowll (Illawarra Index)
1958Norco Co-operative builds new butter depot at Fernhill (Illawarra Index)
1960Official opening of Pop Errington gates at Fernhill Sportsground on 20 March (Illawarra Index)
1961Mr Jack Winship builds an observatory behind his Charles Road home (Illawarra Index)
1963Fernhill Guides new hall officially opened by State Commissioner for Girl Guides (Illawarra Index)
19641st Fernhill Scouts and Cubs' Rooms opened in Meades Avenue (Illawarra Index)
1975
Fernhill Soccer Club celebrates 50th Anniversary (Illawarra Index)
2001Fernhill Soccer Club honours one of its greatest servants today when Towradgi Park is renamed Ray Robinson Field (Illawarra Mercury, 16/6/2001).

Do have historical information, family stories or photographs of Fernhill ?

We welcome donations of historical and recent material about our region, as long as there are no restrictions on how material can be used.

Contact our Local Studies team to discuss a donation in person, by phone on (02) 4227 7415, or by email.

Top image: Bus to Wollongong carrying passengers from Fernhill, Corrimal and Bellambi, between 1930 and 1940. See image details on our catalogue