Your library can help you learn English and improve your English language skills for study, work or everyday conversations.
Road to IELTS
The International English Language Testing System, or IELTS, is the international test of English proficiency for non-native English speakers. Road to IELTS is an online program that will prepare you to take the IELTS, and to do well. This program can be used to prepare for English language exams, or just to improve your skills.
It's free to use for library members. All you need is the barcode from your library card to get started.
With Road to IELTS you can:
- Practice IELTS listening tasks under timed conditions
- Watch sample videos of speaking tests that show you helpful tips
- Develop techniques and vocabulary for writing tasks 1 and 2
- Work on real texts for the reading text, simulating the exam
- Develop vocabulary in areas commonly used in the IELTS exam.
You can use Road to IELTS at home, on library computers (don't forget your headphones) or on your mobile.
ClarityEnglish brings us several educational programs for improving your English. In these courses, learn to recognise and pronounce sounds of English through audio, video and interactive activities.
With this program you can:
- Work with each sound in isolation, in words, sentences and in authentic texts.
- Choose between Australian, British and North American pronunciation models, while being able to listen to a range of non-native accents
- Watch videos, work with audio clips
- Record and listen to your own voice
Practical Writing is for anyone who need to used written English in their studies or personal life. Whether writing an email or messaging a friend, this program helps them structure their writing.
With this program you can:
- Complete interactive activities: exercises, quizzes, tests and writing assignments.
- Learn how to write essays
- Find out how to avoid plagiarism
- Watch teacher videos explaining the objectives of the unit
- Gain skills in picking the right vocabulary and choosing writing styles
Access the course for free here: Practical Writing
The library's collection includes graded readers, kits and special English language materials to help with spelling, punctuation and grammar. Please ask our staff if you need help finding these resources.
English Conversation Classes
Warrawong Library holds regular English Conversation Classes for people to improve their English speaking skills. These classes are arranged by Salvation Army volunteers.
Classes are free, and suitable for all ages. If you'd like to join in, please email the Salvation Army (email@example.com).
Upcoming times are shown below or see our events calendar for more dates.
If you need to contact the library in a language other than English, please see Wollongong City Council's Language Services page. This page includes details for local interpreter services, and Language Aides who may be able to help during Council business hours at Wollongong Library.