Below are some important things you need to do as a responsible cat owner.
Make sure your cat is registered, and that you keep their details up to date.
See our Pet Registration page for more information.
Identify your cat with a collar and tag.
Putting a cat bell on their collar can also help reduce the chance of them attacking smaller animals.
It’s recommended that you desex your cat to stop unwanted litters and reduce the chance of your cat straying or fighting. It’s also cheaper to register a desexed cat.
Talk to your vet if you need more information.
Animal Welfare League Illawarra offers subsidised desexing of cats and dogs whose owners are on a Centrelink benefit or have a low income Health Care Card. For more information, email or call 0498 200 709.
It’s not compulsory to keep your cat indoors, but it’s a good idea, especially at night.
Cats tend to roam when outdoors. Keeping your cat inside keeps them safe, prevents harm to wildlife, and reduces problems with your neighbours.
Remember, you are responsible for any damage your cat does to someone else’s property.
You can also be fined if your cat enters a wildlife protection area, or goes within 10 metres of a public place where food is prepared or eaten.
If you have a problem with a cat making excessive noise or damaging property, you can report it to Council.
If you have a dog or cat which you can no longer keep, you may be able to surrender it to Council at no cost.
- There is no after-hours service for surrendering animals.
- Requests will only be met if we have the capacity to accept the animal. At times we may either be unable to accept an animal, or there may be a delay before we can accept it.
- You are encouraged to try any other available methods to re-home the animal (for example, offering it to friends or on social media) before you ask to surrender it to Council.
To ask us about options for surrendering an animal, please call (02) 4227 7111 during business hours, or use the button below to make an online enquiry.
- Online Services
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Backyard Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Addressing
- Wood Heaters
- Activity Applications
- Property Information
- Book a Space
- Apply for a Grant
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details