Whatever business you run, at some point you're likely to need a permit from Council, or help understanding the rules that apply to you.
Below is a guide to some common business activities and regulations.
Starting a new venture? Visit our Planning Research page for information about some of the things you'll need to consider.
Council regularly inspects certain types of business to make sure they’re following standards for health and safety.
This includes many food, beauty, health, recreation and accommodation businesses.
See our Health and Safety Rules page for details.
Any business that handles food has to be registered with Council.
This includes restaurants, cafes, mobile food stands and market stalls, caterers, childcare centres, bakeries, delicatessens, fruit shops, convenience stores, takeaways, school canteens, supermarkets and hotels.
If you’re setting up a new food business, read these guides:
- Design and Fit-Out Guide for Food Businesses
PDF, 1247.28 KB
- Guidelines for Food Handling at Temporary Events PDF, 190.45 KB.
You must notify Council before you start operating any food business. Use the button below.
Please note, you'll be asked to enter the address of your business before you are directed to the online application form.
Non-retail food businesses such as food manufacturers, wholesale bakeries and egg producers must register with the NSW Food Authority.
Businesses that operate in public outdoor areas will generally need to have a licence or similar agreement with Council.
Common outdoor businesses that operate in Wollongong include:
- Fitness Trainers: see our Commercial Fitness Trainers page for details.
- Commercial Surf Schools: Council manages licences for surf schools between Stanwell Park and Windang in line with our Commercial Surf School Activities on Foreshore Public Open Space policy PDF, 60.66 KB.
- Outdoor Restaurants: we oversee and encourage outdoor dining in public spaces. Read our Outdoor Restaurant on Public Land policy PDF, 475 KB and Outdoor Restaurant on Public Roads Guidelines PDF, 767.23 KB for more information.
To discuss running a business on Council-managed land, email or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
If you need to arrange a recycling and waste collection service for your business, visit the Wollongong Waste website or call 1300 362 360.
If your business has special waste, such as medical, contaminated or building waste, you will need to make private arrangements with a qualified waste disposal company.
Planning a video or photo shoot for your business? See our Filming and Photography page for advice, or to apply for Council approval.
Whether you're just setting up, or want some new signs to advertise your business, it's important you know the rules.
Many types of advertisements and signs can be installed as exempt development. This means if you follow set guidelines, you won't need to get permission from Council.
However some types of advertising and signage will need approval from Council or a qualified private certifier. You can read more about this in the Advertising Signage and Structures PDF, 664.66 KB chapter of our Development Control Plan.
If you're not sure what rules apply to you, talk to us for Development Advice.
- Advantage Wollongong
- Business Information and Support
- Business Permits and Regulations
- Tenders, EOIs and Quotations
- Organise an Event
- Sponsor Local Communities
- Social Enterprises