All types of food businesses may be inspected by Council. Fees apply.
Please note, the button below is for fixed or permanent food businesses. To notify us about a mobile or temporary food business, please use the links in the next section of this page.
Non-retail food businesses such as food manufacturers, wholesale bakeries and egg producers must register with the NSW Food Authority.
Mobile food businesses
Mobile food businesses and food trucks must follow the NSW Food Authority’s Guidelines for Mobile Food Vending Vehicles. These guidelines cover everything from setting up a mobile food business to permits and day-to-day operation.
Council inspects all mobile food vehicles that are based in the Wollongong City Council area. Fees apply for inspections.
There are also restrictions on the locations where mobile food businesses can trade. Before setting up a new mobile food business, please email or call (02) 4227 7111 us to talk about where you'll be able to operate.
Temporary food businesses
This category applies to food being sold from a temporary structure (like a stall or stand) for a limited or periodic time at an approved event. Examples include the sale of food at fairs, festivals, markets or shows.
You should read our Guidelines for Food Handling at Temporary Events PDF, 190.45 KB before you set up a temporary food business.
You must also notify us before you operate a temporary food business. Use the button below.
Council can inspect temporary food businesses operating in the Wollongong City Council area. Fees apply for inspections.
We oversee and encourage outdoor dining in public spaces. If you're interested in setting up a food business with outdoor dining, read the two documents below:
- Outdoor Restaurant on Public Land policy PDF, 475 KB
- Outdoor Restaurant on Public Roads Guidelines PDF, 767.23 KB
You need to get permission from Council to use a public space for outdoor dining. Your application must include:
- A detailed plan of the area you propose to use. This should include dimensions and show how tables and chairs will be arranged. You should also include any umbrellas, planter boxes, barricades or other items if relevant.
- Photos or a brochure showing the furniture and any other items you want to use in the outdoor dining space.
If you have questions about the application process, please email or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
Use the button below to apply online. Relevant fees will be shown on the form.
One of the most common causes of food-related health problems is improper temperature control.
All types of food business owners should be familiar with and follow the NSW Food Authority's temperature control rules.
- COVID-19 Information for Businesses
- Assistance to Council Tenants
- Invest Wollongong
- Business Information and Support
- Business Permits and Regulations
- Tenders, EOIs and Quotations
- Organise an Event
- Sponsor Local Communities
- Social Enterprises