North Beach is Wollongong's busiest beach and is patrolled all year round. It is a short distance from Wollongong Harbour, and is surrounded by cafes, restaurants, and the historic North Beach Bathers Pavilion.
Cliff Rd, North Wollongong
Patrolled 8am - 6pm daily
Beach safetyStay safe on our beaches - visit our Beach Safety page before you hit the sand.
A beach wheelchair is available to use at this beach during patrol hours. To book please call (02) 4227 7268.
People using beach wheelchairs must be accompanied by a carer.
Accessible parking spaces are available along Cliff Road, next to Stuart Park and in surrounding car parks.
There is a shared pathway and concrete concourse along the length of the beach.
Accessible toilets and showers are available near North Beach at these locations:
- North Beach Bathers Pavilion, open in daylight hours
- Stuart Park toilet block, open in daylight hours
- Continental Pool, see pool page for opening hours
- Belmore Basin (toilet only), open in daylight hours
- Wollongong City Beach (Surf Club), open in daylight hours.
- Lang Park, Exeloo automated toilets, open 24 hours a day.
- There are multiple picnic shelters in Stuart Park.
- There are wheelchair accessible BBQs at the northern end of the park. These are connected by accessible pathways.
- Picnic tables are also available along the foreshore, and near Belmore Basin and Osborne Park.
Food and drink
- There are multiple cafes and kiosks on the beach foreshore and at the North Beach Bathers Pavilion.
- Many cafes and restaurants are nearby, including on Cliff Road, Bourke Street, and around Belmore Basin and Wollongong Harbour.
- The Continental Pool is a short distance south of the beach, heading towards Wollongong Harbour. It has ramp access and accessible toilets and showers.
Rock platform access
- There is a ramp from the shared pathway near the Continental Pool which can be used to access the rock platform and the Gentlemen's Pool (tidal rock pool). Please note that the ramp and rock platform may not be accessible during high tides.
- This is a very busy area.
- There can be a lot of pedestrian and bike traffic along the shared path on the beach foreshore.
- Council is doing work on the North Beach Surf Club and sea wall. The club and some parts of the beach around the sea wall are closed while work is happening.
We welcome feedback from people with disability and their carers about your experience accessing our beaches.
Your feedback can help us find and fix problems, or plan for better access in future.
- Aboriginal Culture and Communities
- Our Environment
- UCI Bike City
- Parking and Transport
- Public Toilets
- Wollongong CBD
- History and Heritage
- Memorial Gardens and Cemeteries
- Sister Cities
- Filming and Photography
- Learning City