Standard Conditions for Road Closures
These conditions apply to special events and work-related activities within Council road reserves.
Following approval by Wollongong City Council, road closures are subject to the additional Council conditions:
- You must make an online application to Council for Works in Road Reserve – Open or Occupy.
See our Works on Roads and Footpaths page for more details.
Note that applications must be received at least 8 weeks before the date of the proposed road closure. Closures cannot take place until they have been endorsed by Council.
- NSW Police Approval: The Applicant must obtain written approval from NSW Police, where required under the Roads Act.
- If the Road Closure is within 100m of any traffic control signals or on a ‘State Classified Road’ the Applicant must obtain a Road Occupancy Licence (ROL) from Transport for NSW.
- The Applicant must advise all affected residents and business owners within the closure area of the date/s and times for the closure, at least 7 days before the intended date of works.
- The Applicant must advise Emergency Services: Ambulance, Fire Brigade and Police, Taxi and Bus Companies of the closure dates and times in writing, 7 days before the intended date of works. The Applicant must endeavour to minimise the impact on bus services during the closure.
- Traffic Management Plan: The closure must be set up in accordance with the approved Traffic Management Plan (TMP) prepared by an appropriately qualified traffic controller; a copy of whose qualifications must be included with the submitted TMP.
- Traffic Management Plan Setup: The Traffic Management Plan must be set up by appropriately qualified traffic control persons or the NSW Police.
- Access to properties affected by the road closure must be maintained where possible. Where direct access cannot be achieved, an alternative arrangement must be agreed to by both the applicant and the affected person/s.
- Public Notice Advertisement: The Applicant must advertise the road closure in the Public Notices section of the local paper, detailing closure date/s and times at least 7 days before the closure.
- Public Liability Policy: The Applicant must provide Council with a copy of their current insurance policy to a value of no less than $20 million dollars to cover Wollongong City Council from any claims arising from the closure.
You will need to attach the following with your online application. See our Works on Roads and Footpaths page to apply.
- A copy of the letter from the Traffic Committee authorising the closure
- The Traffic Management Plan (TMP)
- The Road Occupancy Licence (ROL) if required
- Written approval from NSW Police, where required
- Public Liability Insurance.