When visiting our Waste Depot, you must follow any NSW Public Health Rules that apply at the time of your visit. Please note, rules may change at short notice.
- Please check-in where QR codes are provided.
- People aged over 12 years must wear a face mask at all indoor areas.
- Please consider others and maintain physical distancing where possible.
- Payment is by card only.
For details of other Council services, please see our COVID-19 Updates page.
Our city's household waste goes to Wollongong Waste and Resource Recovery Park – also known as Whytes Gully.
- Weekdays 7.30am to 4.30pm
- Weekends and public holidays (including Good Friday) 8am to 4pm
The waste depot is closed on Christmas Day.
See our Fees and Charges page for the full list of waste fees, including commercial, business and special waste.
Please note, due to public health concerns relating to Coronavirus, payment by card only (not cash) will be accepted until further notice.
Pensioner Concession Card holders
If you live in the Wollongong City Council area and hold a current Pensioner Concession Card, you don’t have to pay tipping fees for loads of 100kg or less of:
- General waste – up to two times each financial year
- Green waste – up to two time each financial year.
For loads over 100kg, you will only be charged for the portion greater than 100kg. For example, for a load of 120kg, a fee will only apply to 20kg.
To use this rule, the Pensioner Concession Card holder must be present and provide:
- Their current Pensioner Concession Card, and
- Photo identification with proof of their residential address.
After you’ve used the maximum number of visits for the financial year, normal fees will apply.
Please note, due to public health concerns relating to Coronavirus, we are currently accepting payment by card only until further notice.
Cash payments are not accepted.
If you're bringing items to our waste depot, follow these simple steps to help save you time and possibly money!
- Sort your items. Separate your recyclables and items that can go to our Community Recycling Centre (CRC) from green waste and general waste. You can find details of accepted green waste on our Household Rubbish page.
- Load carefully. Pack your car or trailer with recyclables and CRC items last, so they're on top. Drop these items off first - turn right at the roundabout before the weighbridge to unload them for free. Then head over the weighbridge with any green or general waste.
- Cover your load. If your'e using a trailer, ute, or other open-top vehicle to bring items to the waste depot, make sure your waste is securely covered to avoid littering or even being fined.
Our waste depot at Whytes Gully does not accept building waste.
Building waste includes, but is not limited to:
- Fibro Sheeting
- Galvanised Iron Sheeting
- Plaster Sheeting
- Excavation Materials (including clean and unclean fill).
There are some private businesses in our local area that accept building waste. Please search the internet for 'building waste Wollongong' to find available options.
Feedback about our Waste Depot
To make a complaint or provide feedback about environmental issues at our Waste Depot at Kembla Grange, please call (02) 4227 7111.
This number can also be used for urgent issues after-hours. Choose option 1 to be put through to our after-hours service.
For non-urgent feedback, you can also visit our Compliments, Complaints and Feedback page.
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Information
- Book a Space
Apply for a Grant
- Bands and Choirs
- Community Events
- Community Events Quick Response Grants
- Connecting Neighbours Grants
- Connecting Neighbours - Verge Garden Grants
- Creating Connections - High School Grants
- Creative Wollongong Quick Response Grants
- Economic and Industry Grants
- Emergency Food and Care Support Grants
- Heritage Grants
- Live Music Quick Response Grants
- Minor Donations
- NAIDOC Week Grants
- Small Cultural Grants
- Sports Grants
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details