Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Bush Fires

Bush fire danger period October to March

The official Bush Fire Danger Period starts on 1 October and runs until 31 March. Keep yourself and your family safe by taking these simple steps:

  1. Prepare your property. For example, remove flammable materials from your yard, clear leaves from gutters, and check that hoses can reach all parts of your hous.
  2. Talk to your family about what you'll do if there's a fire threat. Know when you'll leave, where you'll go, what you'll take, and what you'll do with animals.
  3. Download the Fires Near Me app and set up watch zones to get Safety Alerts for your area.

More information about preparing for bush fires can be found below.

Bush fire emergencies are managed by the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS).

Visit the RFS website for information on how to plan and protect yourself from bush fires, and updates on any current fires or fire bans.

The MyFirePlan website is a great tool to improve or make a plan that will give your property, your family and yourself the best chance of survival should you be threatened by a bush fire.

You can also download the Fires Near Me app to get updates on your mobile.

The AIDER (Assist Infirm, Disabled and Elderly Residents) program is a free, one-off service which supports some of our most at-risk community members.

The program helps people live more safely and confidently in their home in areas where bush fires may start.

For details, visit the RFS website.

Residents in some areas close to the bush can prepare for bush fires by clearing trees from around their home under the NSW Rural Fire Service 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Scheme.

If your property is in a 10/50 vegetation clearing entitlement area, you may be able to clear trees close to your house without Council's approval. Make sure you read the guidelines carefully first; you could be fined for illegally clearing trees.

It is the property owner's responsibility to make sure they follow the 10/50 Code of Practice.

You should also note that you can’t remove a tree under these guidelines if a development consent specifically says it needs to be retained.

For details, and to find out if your property is in a 10/50 area, visit the NSW Rural Fire Service website.

Fiready is a Council-run volunteer program that clears potential bush fire fuel near residential areas.

Visit our Fiready page to find out more or volunteer.