Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Other Animals

All animals need to be kept so they don’t disturb your neighbours or cause health and safety problems.

The type of animals you can keep will depend on what zone your land is in.

We’ve listed information about some common animals below. If you can’t find what you need, contact us for advice.

Keeping chickens is a great way to recycle your food scraps, reduce grubs and get your own supply of fresh eggs.

The number of chickens you can have, and how you need to house them, is explained in state law. Use the links below to read more:

You cannot keep roosters in residential areas.

Rabbits can be kept as pets, but they are considered a pest in the wild. It’s important you make sure your pet rabbit can’t escape.

You will also need to regularly vaccinate your pet rabbit to protect them from viruses that are released to control the wild rabbit population. Talk to your vet for advice, or check the Local Land Services website for updates about virus releases.

Local Land Services have advised Council that the next feral rabbit control program will begin in May 2022.

Pigeons can be kept in residential backyards if you have Council permission. To get permission to keep pigeons, you will need to:

The Department of Primary Industries (DPI) sets rules about bee keeping.

If you want to keep bees, you’ll need to register with the DPI.

You’ll also find handy information on the Illawarra Beekeepers website.

Livestock including horses, cattle, goats, sheep and pigs cannot be kept in your average backyard.

Livestock can be kept on some types of rural land zones, but you will need to follow the state rules about how your animals are kept.