Exempt trees are species that you can remove or prune without a permit. You can remove up to five exempt trees at a time.
If you’re not sure what type of tree you have, check with a qualified arborist or horticulturalist before removing or pruning the tree.
It’s also a good idea to take a photo to keep as a record before removing any exempt trees.
When exempt rules may not apply
You may need a Development Application to prune or remove a tree if it is any of the following, even if it’s on the exempt list:
- The tree or the site it's on is classified as being part of a vulnerable, threatened or endangered ecological community.
- The tree provides, or has the potential to provide, habitat for native plants or animals classified as vulnerable or threatened under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 or Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999.
- The tree is a heritage item, forms part of a heritage item, or is within a heritage conservation area.
- There is an approval or agreement in place that requires the tree to be retained or protected. This could include conditions in a development consent, a conservation agreement, Section 88B restriction on the use of land, or a positive covenant.
If you’re not sure whether any of these conditions apply to you, please email us or call (02) 4227 7111.
Exempt Trees List
|Common Name||Botanical Name|
|African fern pine, Yellowwood||Afrocarpus falcatus (Syn. Nageia falcatus)|
|African Olive||Olea europaea subsp. cuspidata|
|Black Locust||Robinia pseudoacacia|
|Box Elder||Acer negundo|
|Camphor Laurel||Cinnamomum camphora|
|Canary Island Date Palm||Phoenix canariensis|
|China Doll||Radermachera sinica|
|Chinese Tallow||Triadica sebifera [Sapium sebiferum]|
|Cocos or Queen Palm||Syagrus romanzoffiana|
|Common Hackberry||Celtis occidentalis|
|Coral Tree||Erythrina x sykesii|
|Domestic Fruit Trees|
|Golden Cypress Pine||Cuppressus macrocarpa ‘Brunniana’|
|Goldenrain Tree||Koelreutaria paniculata|
|Honey Locust||Gleditsia triacanthos|
|Kaffir Plum||Harpephyllum caffrum|
|Norfolk Island Hibiscus/Itchy Pod Tree||Lagunaria patersonii|
|Peppercorn, Pepper Tree||Schinus areira|
|Radiata Pine||Pinus radiata|
|Rubber Tree||Ficus elastica|
|Silky Oak||Grevillea robusta|
|Umbrella Tree||Schefflera actinophylla|
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Information
- Book a Space
- Apply for a Grant
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details