Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Pool Certificates

Before you can sell or lease a property with a pool or spa you must have a certificate of registration and one of the following:

  • A  Pool Certificate of Compliance, or
  • An Occupation Certificate for pools built less than three years ago, or
  • A Certificate of Non-Compliance (for property sales only).

The relevant certificates should be included in the contract of sale or lease agreement.

For most single-home properties you don’t need a certificate unless you’re selling or leasing, but if you’d like one for peace of mind, you can apply any time.

However, you will need to have a current certificate at all times if your property is used for:

  • family day care
  • foster care
  • a home-based ‘learn to swim’ business.

For shared pools that are part of strata complexes or community schemes, the owners corporation (or body corporate) has to make sure pools are compliant. Talk to your strata manager, real estate agent or conveyancer for details.

Pool certificates can be issued by Council or an accredited certifier.

First make sure your pool is registered and have your registration number handy.

If you're applying for a Certificate of Non-Compliance, read the state rules before applying.

After you apply and pay the relevant fees, Council will inspect your pool or spa before issuing a certificate.

Certificates are valid for three years. However, if your pool is inspected during that time and doesn’t meet requirements, the certificate can be revoked.

Use the button at the bottom of this page to apply.

Alternatively, you can use our Certificate Application form PDF, 48.32 KB and tick '22D - Certificate of Compliance – Section 22D Swimming Pools Act 1992' in Section 1 of the form.

Pool Certificate Fees (including GST).