Notice: Information for our community on Coronavirus (COVID-19) Read more.
Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Property Information

Council holds information about your property that you might need when buying, building or improving your home.

Information you can get about your property is shown below.

Register for certificate applications (optional)

You can register for an online account before applying for property certificates. Registering lets you save your details, save unfinished applications, and track your applications. We recommend this for people or businesses who need to make multiple requests.

You can still apply without setting up an account if you prefer.

You can get land zone information and a free Property Report by searching for your address on the NSW Planning Portal. This report gives you general information but it can't be used in place of a Planning Certificate.

A 10.7 Planning Certificate (which used to be called a Section 149 Certificate) is an official document about the planning rules and any restrictions that apply to your land.

This certificate is often needed when properties are bought and sold, or if you’re planning to develop a property.

The main types of information in a 10.7 (2) Certificate include:

  • Which planning laws apply to your property
  • The land zone and what you are or aren’t allowed to use the land for
  • Which development standards apply
  • Any critical habitats, conservation areas or environmental heritage items that are on the land
  • Whether you can do work as complying development on the land
  • If there is any road widening earmarked, or plans for part of the land to be acquired
  • Any restrictions in place to reduce hazards
  • If there is a vegetation plan or biobanking agreement for the land
  • Whether the land is contaminated [under the Contaminated Lands Management Act 1997]
  • Any Bushfire and Contributions Plans

Extra information

When you apply for a 10.7 (2) Certificate, you can also apply for a 10.7 (5) Certificate, which will give you extra information if it's available, including:

  • Any Council resolutions to prepare a Planning Proposal for the property
  • Proposed draft Development Control Plans
  • Land stability
  • Flood and drainage
  • Acid sulfate soils
  • State Significant Development
  • Building lines
  • Other heritage matters known to Council
  • Tree Management Policy.

Please note that you can't get a 10.7 (5) Certificate on its own - it must be combined with a 10.7 (2) Certificate.

Planning Certificates only provide information about your land. If you need information about any built structures on a property, see the Building Information Certificate section of this page.


View Planning Certificate fees and charges.

A Building Information Certificate provides information about what built structures on a property have been approved.

Building Information Certificates are often used when a property is bought or sold, so potential buyers can make sure they won’t be asked to remove any unapproved work.

If we issue a Building Information Certificate, we will not issue any order to demolish, alter, add or rebuild the structures listed on the certificate within seven years.


View Building Information Certificates fees and charges

This application lets you know about past and expected flood levels for a property.

We don’t have this information for every property. Please call us on (02) 4227 7111 to confirm if flood information is available for your property before you apply. The application fee cannot be refunded if there is no information available for your property.

If flood information is available, 20% AEP (annual exceedance probability), 1% AEP and PMF (probable maximum flood) levels will be supplied.

Please allow approximately 10 working days for the information to be sent to you.


View Flood level information fees and charges.

Other flood information

You can find out if Council has identified your property as flood affected by getting a 10.7 (parts 2 and 5) Planning Certificate. See the Planning Certificate section of this page for details.

You can also find information about floodplain management in Wollongong on our Floods and Stormwater page.

You can check if there are any rates or other payments owing on a property by applying for a 603 certificate.


Fees and charges for Section 603 Certificates.

This application can be used to check if there is any money owing to Council due to a Positive Covenant on a property.

A Positive Covenant is an agreement that the owner will do something to benefit the land - for example to build or maintain a fence or driveway.


Fees and charges for an s88G Conveyancing Act Certificate.

Use this application to check if there have been any orders or notices placed on a property.

This could include things like orders to demolish a structure that is dangerous or unapproved, or to clean up a site.


Fees and charges for Outstanding Orders.

You can apply to find out if there are any proposals for road widening that will affect your property.


Application fee for road widening certificates.

You can request information about past approvals on a property from Council. If you are the owner, or have the owner's written consent, you can also ask us for copies of your property's floorplans.

To request past approvals or plans, make an informal GIPA request through our Access to Information page.

If you live next to a Council-managed park or reserve, you can apply to get temporary access to your property from this land. For example, you might want access to move large items on or off your property, or for building or other works.

If your application is approved, you'll have to pay a security bond to Council. After your approved access period, we'll inspect the land and if no damage has occurred, we'll refund this bond.

Use the form below to apply, or call us on (02) 4227 7111 for help.

Application for access across Council land form PDF, 52.48 KB