Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council


The information below explains the steps you will generally need to take once you have an approved development consent that involves subdivision of land (torrens), strata subdivision, or community title subdivision.

For information about building on land after it has been subdivided, see our Building pages.

Your development consent will explain any conditions that are relevant to your specific project.

We recommend you use the services of a Consulting Civil Engineer or a Registered Land Surveyor to prepare applications at all stages of the subdivision process.

The steps you will generally need to follow for work on a subdivision include:

Before any work starts, you will need to get an approved Construction Certificate for Subdivision Works from Council or a private certifying authority.

After a Construction Certificate for subdivision works has been issued, you must appoint a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) to oversee the development's construction works.

The PCA makes sure construction works match your development consent, approved construction certificate plans, Council’s policies and guidelines, and relevant legislative requirements.

Use the form below to nominate Council as your PCA:

Subdivision Works – Notice of Commencement of Works and Appointment of Certifier form PDF, 108.98 KB

If a private certifier is overseeing your subdivision,  use the form above to advise Council who your PCA is, and when work will begin.


View fees for Principal Certifying Authority - Subdivision

Before work starts, a pre-construction meeting must be held with the developer, construction personnel and the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA).

If you’ve appointed Council as your PCA, call us on (02) 4227 7111 to arrange a pre-commencement meeting.

During construction, the contractor and project manager of the works must adhere to Council’s Subdivision Policy PDF, 1723.35 KB. This policy outlines the points at which the PCA must conduct inspections – see Annexure CQC-A for details.

The site must also be managed during high wind or large rainfall events to protect the environment and surrounding areas. The NSW Office of Environment and Heritage has a guide, known as the ‘Blue Book’, which outlines how soil and stormwater should be managed during construction.

Council’s standard drawings should be followed during construction of a subdivision. You can download a copy of our standard drawings below.

Wollongong City Council Standard Drawings  PDF, 5509.54 KB

For work in the City Centre, you will also need to follow the manual below:

City Centre Public Domain Technical Manual PDF, 7074.87 KB.

You need to get Council’s endorsement if you want to add or remove restrictions on land for a subdivision. This includes creating or removing an easement, restriction on land, or positive covenant.

Once subdivision works have been finished and you have received practical completion from your Principal Certifying Authority, you can apply for a Subdivision Certificate.

Please note, you cannot submit this application until all work is done, and all conditions in your development consent and approved Subdivision Construction Certificate have been met.

Information you must include with this application is listed on the application form. You must also include any other details or documents required by your development consent, listed under 'Prior to issue of subdivision certificate'.

Use the form below to apply:

Application for a Subdivision Certificate PDF, 251.09 KB

Once approved, Council will sign and return your plan of subdivision, deposited plan administration sheet and 88b instrument (if applicable) with the subdivision certificate. This does not create the proposed lot/s; you will then need to register the subdivision with NSW Land Registry Services.


View fees for Subdivision Certificates or search our full Fees and Charges.

The final step to complete your subdivision is to register it with NSW Land Registry Services. This must be done by the land owner.

Visit the NSW Land Registry Services website for more information.