Format Guidelines for DAs
The guide below lists those documents, plans and drawings you should provide with your Development Application (DA).
Including the right information in the right format can help avoid delays or extra costs.
You should provide one digital copy and one paper copy of all plans, drawings and documents when lodging a DA.
If you can’t provide a digital copy, you can lodge an application with two paper copies of all information, but you will have to pay an additional fee for us to scan the documents.
- Each document or plan should be saved as a separate file. The only exception to this is elevation plans, shadow plans, stormwater layouts and some landscape plans, as well as bulk earthwork, typical road cross sections, road longitudinal sections which can be multiple pages.
- Files must be provided in PDF (portable document format).
- Photos should be in JPEG format.
- Each file should be no larger than 10MB. Any files over 10MB will need to be split into separate smaller files.
Drawings and plans should be:
- To scale, usually at a ratio of 1:100
- Numbered, titled and dated
- Paper drawings and plans should be printed on A3 sized paper, folded to A4 with the title block to the front. If you need to lodge plans larger than A3, call us before you come in to lodge. Larger plans will only be allowed if drawings aren’t easily viewed at a 1:100 or 1:200 scale on A3 paper.
- Dimensions should be shown.
If your development is in the Wollongong City Centre and will be four storeys high or more, your DA will need to include a 3D CAD model of the building.
Fees apply for submitting or updating a 3D model. You need to provide the 3D model as described below. Make sure you follow these rules carefully. If the 3D CAD model isn’t provided correctly, you will have to resubmit it, and re-pay any fees.
Detailed model of development site and buildings
A 1:1 scale detailed 3D CAD model is required, showing a realistic and accurate 3D representation of the exterior of the whole development. This should include:
- Site details: landscaped areas, driveways, access ramps, pedestrian access ways, car parking, major signage or similar structures, bridges, street overpasses and any other significant features.
- Building details. everything of significance for each elevation, including all protrusions and indents like balconies, porticos, parapets, etc.
- Roof details: all external detail including pitch, protrusions such as plant enclosures, fire stairs, terraces, shade roofs, signage structures, flag poles or similar.
- Do not include any interior details, text, dimensions, hatching or area fill.
Accepted CAD formats
3D models should be provided as AutoCAD 3D DWG or Autodesk 3DS format.
Contact us before submitting to discuss alternative acceptable file formats.
All relevant data must be bound within the submitted 3D CAD model. Do not include any reference or cross-reference points or external files.
Layer and level names
Layer names must be descriptive and logical. Do not use numerical-only layer names.
Naming conventions used should be clearly defined in the documentation submitted with the model.
Rendering of the model
Surface material renders and building facades should be supplied as raster images in separate files, and must indicate the model face the image applies to and method of applying the image (eg full faced or tiled).
If you have any questions about the City Centre 3D Model, call our mapping team on (02) 4227 7111.
See our application forms and checklists, or call us on (02) 4227 7111 if you’re not sure what information needs to be included with your application.
- Types of Development
Planning and Development Policies
- State and Regional Planning Policies
- Local Environmental Plans
- Development Control Plan
- Development Contributions
- Planning Proposals
- Development on Bush Fire Prone Land
- Flooding, Stormwater and Development
- Caravan Parks, Camping Grounds and Manufactured Home Estates
- Fire Safety
- Lodge a Development Application
- View an Application
- Development Assessments
- Construction and Works