Building a new home on your land, or knocking down and rebuilding, is usually done in one of two ways:
Complying development is a fast-track approval process for straightforward residential development. This applies in most cases where what you're building is straightforward and matches current planning rules and building regulations.
The NSW Planning Portal explains what can be done as complying development, and the rules that apply.
Use the button below to apply for Council to assess your complying development via the NSW Planning Portal. Fees apply.
If your planned home doesn’t fit the complying development rules, you will need to get approval through a Development Application.
Make sure you read the planning rules that apply to your land before you start this process.
Council can also help you by providing development advice.
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Information
- Book a Space
Apply for a Grant
- Bands and Choirs
- Community Events
- Community Events Quick Response Grants
- Connecting Neighbours Grants
- Connecting Neighbours - Verge Garden Grants
- Creating Connections - High School Grants
- Creative Wollongong Quick Response Grants
- Economic and Industry Grants
- Emergency Food and Care Support Grants
- Heritage Grants
- Live Music Quick Response Grants
- Minor Donations
- NAIDOC Week Grants
- Small Cultural Grants
- Sports Grants
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details