Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

New Homes

Building a new home on your land, or knocking down and rebuilding, is usually done in one of two ways:

Complying Development

Complying development is a fast-track approval process for straightforward residential development. This applies in most cases where what you're building is straightforward and matches current planning rules and building regulations.

The NSW Planning Portal explains what can be done as complying development, and the rules that apply.

Use the button below to apply for Council to assess your complying development via the NSW Planning Portal. Fees apply.

Development Application

If your planned home doesn’t fit the complying development rules, you will need to get approval through a Development Application.

Make sure you read the planning rules that apply to your land before you start this process.

Council can also help you by providing development advice.