Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Submit a Development Application

All applications must be made online via the NSW Planning Portal. Hard copy applications will not be accepted.

The type and amount of information you need to include in your development application (DA) will depend on what kind of development you’re applying for.

Use the Lodgement Checklist PDF, 132.58 KB to work out what information you need to include for your development application.

You will need to complete and initial this checklist and attach it to your online application, along with any other information required.

You can also contact us for Development Advice before you submit an application.

DAs generally need to include the items listed below as a minimum:

This statement explains the impacts the development is expected to have on the environment, nearby properties or the public. See our Statement of Environmental Effects page for details about what needs to be included in this document.

You’ll need to provide digital copies of any drawings required.

Our checklists explain what drawings are needed for your application.

Read our format guidelines for plans, drawings and documents to help you prepare an application.

Depending on the type and location of your planned development, you might also have to include:

  • Demolition details
  • Site survey
  • Floor Area information
  • Bush Fire Assessment Report
  • Flood study
  • Geotechnical report
  • Landscape plan
  • Arborist's report for significant vegetation
  • Statement of Heritage Impact
  • Major development additional information and reports
  • 3D electronic model.

To confirm what information your application needs, see our application checklists or contact us for Development Advice.

If you've made a reportable political donation or gift to any Councillor (including the Lord Mayor) or Council employee within the past two years, you will need to disclose this when submitting your DA.

For more information, or to make a disclosure, see the form below:

Political Donations and Gifts Disclosure Statement to Council  PDF, 56.24 KB

You will need to pay any relevant Council fees when you lodge your application.

For some DAs, Council will need to have comments or approval from external agencies. You may also need to pay separate fees directly to the State government or to other external agencies such as the Rural Fire Service for this service. See our lodgement checklists for details.

We can give you an estimate of the fee before you lodge, but the final may be different to that estimate. Call (02) 4227 7111 or visit us to request an estimate.

All applications must be made through the NSW Planning Portal.

This portal is now available for development applications, and some other application types.

See the Planning Portal's Quick Reference Guide for help using this system.

To submit an application via the NSW Planning Portal, you will need to log in or create an account. Go to the My Account page to get started.

Apply online

All applications must be made online via the NSW Planning Portal. Hard copy applications will not be accepted.

The button below will take you to the NSW Planning Portal to submit an application.

You will be asked to log in or create an account to get started.

Make sure you have a completed Lodgement Checklist PDF, 132.58 KB and any other required information ready to attach to your online application.

After you submit a DA

  1. When you submit a DA through the NSW Planning Portal, you will receive a unique reference number.
  2. Council will check your application and contact you if you need to provide any additional information through the Planning Portal.
  3. When your application is ready to lodge, we will invoice you for any relevant fees through the Planning Portal.
  4. When you pay the relevant fees, your application will be lodged.

Throughout the process, you can log into the Planning Portal and use your reference number to track your application.

After an application has been lodged, the next steps will usually include:

See our Building page for information about what you need to do after a DA is approved, including Construction Certificates and Occupation Certificates.