We've gathered some info below to help you ride safely, find new routes and connect with other cyclists.
If you’re using a bike to get around, there’s a good chance you’ll be riding on a road at some point. Make sure you know the rules that apply to bikes on roads, shared pathways and footpaths.
We also encourage drivers to make themselves familiar with the special rules that apply when driving near cyclists.
Use the links below to learn about rules for riding bikes:
- Bicycle NSW - Bicycle Laws
- Transport for NSW Road Rules for Bicycle Riders
- Bicycle NSW - Handy Reference Guide
- Bicycle NSW - Handy Reference Poster
- Transport for NSW Bicycle Handbook
Transport for NSW videos
The Group Rider
Looking for a group to ride with? Get in touch with one of our local bike groups.
- Illawarra Bicycle User Group Incorporated (iBUG)
- Illawarra Cycle Club
- Illawarra Triathlon Club
- email the Illawarra Touring Cycle Club
- Illawarra Ramblers
- Wollongong Mountain Bike Club
- Exsight Tandems Illawarra
- CycleAbility - The Disability Trust.
If you’re part of a cycle group not listed here, and would like us to add your details, please email us.
You can also find details of local bike stores and workshops in the Wollongong Cycling Guide and Map.
The Safety Town website is a good all-round road safety guide for primary school-aged children, teachers and families.
Kidsafe Australia's Kids on Wheels guide also has great tips for keeping your children safe on bikes, tricycles, skateboards, scooters and other fun things that roll.
The Family Ride (Transport for NSW video)
Aboriginal Culture and Communities
- 2023 Referendum: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice
- Community Events
- Local Government Regional NAIDOC Awards
- Explore Aboriginal Art and Culture
- Aboriginal Businesses and Cultural Tourism
- Local Networks and Services
- Council Programs and Support
- A Brief History
- Aboriginal Community Members' Stories
- Floods and Stormwater
- Coast and Waterways
- Trees and Plants
- Natural Areas
- Native Animals
- Pest Animals
- Climate Change
- Environmental Education
UCI Bike City
- 2022 UCI Road World Championships - Wollongong NSW
- Cringila Hills Mountain Bike Park
- Helensburgh Mountain Bike Park
- Illawarra Criterium Track and Velodrome
- Pop-Up Cycling Routes
- Separated Cycleways
- Using Our Shared Pathways
- Local Bike Tracks
- Info for Cyclists
- Planning for Cycling
- Parking and Transport
- Public Toilets
- Wollongong CBD
- History and Heritage
- Memorial Gardens and Cemeteries
- Sister Cities
- Filming and Photography
- Learning City