Notice: Community Satisfaction Survey now open Read more.
Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Patrols and Parking Fines

Council’s Compliance Officers (previously called Rangers) patrol public streets, car parks and road reserves across our city. Their job is to make sure people follow parking rules and signs.

Compliance Officers can issue warnings or fines to people who do the wrong thing.

You can report parking issues online or by calling (02) 4227 7111.

What to do if you get a fine

If you’ve been issued with a fine, read your penalty notice. It will explain what to do next, including how to pay or appeal.

Once a fine has been issued, Council can’t reverse it. Payments and appeals need to be followed up with Revenue NSW.

Revenue NSW process fines and fees for local councils, NSW Police Force and various other authorities.

To discuss your fine please call Revenue NSW on 1300 138 118.

Alternatively, you can find information and manage your fine on Revenue NSW’s website.

If you’ve been issued a fine in NSW, you’ll find the information you need on the Revenue NSW website, including:

  • How to pay a fine or fee
  • How to request a review of a fine
  • How to check the status of a review
  • What happens if you don’t pay a fine
  • What you must do to have your matter heard in court
  • What you can do if you're experiencing financial hardship and can’t pay a fine.


Rangers take photos of traffic or parking offences when they issue a fine. You can view the image related to your fine on the myPenalty page on Revenue NSW’s website.

If you’ve received a fine but weren't responsible for the offence, you can transfer the fine to the person who was at fault.

For example, this might apply if you weren't driving the vehicle when the offence happened, or if you sold the vehicle before the date of the offence.

You can also nominate the responsible person online using myPenalty

If you are responsible for an offence but are not the person named on the fine, you can nominate yourself by contacting Revenue NSW

If you can’t afford to pay in full by the due date you can set up a payment plan if you need more time to pay.

You should contact Revenue NSW before the penalty reminder due date to set up a payment plan.

Revenue NSW also offer other options if you are experiencing serious financial, medical or other personal problems.

Visit Revenue NSW's website to find out more about:

  • what to do if you are having difficulty with payment
  • how to ask someone to talk to Revenue NSW about your situation
  • whether you might be eligible for a work and development order (WDO)
  • eligibility for a 50 per cent reduction in fine amount.

Road rules can change from time to time, so it's a good idea to check them out regularly and make sure you're up to date with current rules - especially if you've had your licence for a long time!

To learn about current road rules, visit the Service NSW website.

You can also find tips for safe driving on our Road Safety page.