If you’re an individual or not-for-profit group running an event that’s open to the community, you might be eligible for our Sponsorship of Community Events program.
Each year, we support events like community celebrations, cultural gatherings and state or national sporting events.
This program aims to encourage a wider range of events in our city, particularly those that bring social and economic benefits to the local area.
Applications for our 2023 - 2024 program are open until Friday 31 March 2023.
This program is open to not-for-profit groups, organisations or individuals who are organising an event in the Wollongong City Council area that can be shown to benefit the community.
Events must be held within the 2023 - 2024 financial year.
Events are classified into three groups for this program:
- Citywide events, which attract attendees from across the Wollongong area
- Local community events with a focus on attendance from a suburban area
- Sporting events of state or national significance.
Council may consider an event under a different category than what's listed on your application if we believe another category is more appropriate.
You must apply for this program using our online form, which will be available on this page when applications are open.
You will need to provide detailed information about your event including:
- A description of your event, target audiences, location, etc.
- A budget showing all expenses and sources of income. This should also include information about any other sponsors of the event.
- A copy of your group or organisation's Constitution or Articles of Association if available.
- A copy of your public liability insurance for at least $20 million.
If your application is successful, you'll need to sign a funding agreement with Council.
Out of round applications
Council may consider applications for sponsorship of community events after the main application round if we still have funds available. If you'd like to ask about making an out of round application, email or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
The following activities are not supported through this program:
- Local events that target a specific sector or group within the community, and are not aimed at the general broader community.
- Conferences or dinners.
- Award presentations.
- Political events.
- Fundraising events that are only available to paid ticket holders.
- Any event that Council considers to be an actual, possible or perceived conflict of interest. This can include a conflict between Council and the event organiser, or Council and another sponsor/supporter of the event.
- Any event that is considered to have a risk management cost to Council.
- Events organised by anyone who has previously received sponsorship from Council, but did not meet all the requirements of the past sponsorship agreement.
- Events that have already happened.
- Ongoing operational, maintenance or administrative costs.
The following sponsorship amounts are available for events under this program:
- City-wide events up to $15,000 + GST
- Local general community events up to $5,000 + GST
- Sporting events of state or national significance up to $5,000 + GST.
Support may be provided through a payment by cheque or direct deposit, by Council providing in-kind support, or a mix of these.
If provided, in-kind support will be given a dollar value by Council and included in the total amount approved. This could be for things like waste services, rebate of fees and charges, or the use of Council services or facilities.
Sponsorship is provided on a one-off basis. For annual or ongoing events, Council may also consider multi-year funding for up to four years.
Here are some tips to help you prepare your application for this program:
- Download and read our list of the Questions You'll Need to Answer PDF, 147.86 KB
- Write all your answers out in a Word document or similar, so they're ready to copy into the online form.
- Gather your supporting documents (eg venue booking confirmations or letters of support)
- Download our budget template XLSX, 18.91 KB. Enter details for your project, and save it with your supporting documents.
- When everything's ready, use the button at the bottom of the page to apply.
Support for your application
We're happy to talk with you about your application. Please email us, phone (02) 4227 7111 or use the form on the bottom of this page to ask a question.
Use the button below to apply for sponsorship of a community event.
Applications close Friday 31 March 2023.
Ask a question about our grants
Use the button below to ask us a question about this program.
- Online Services
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Backyard Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Addressing
- Wood Heaters
- Activity Applications
- Property Information
- Book a Space
- Apply for a Grant
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details