Our Connecting Neighbours Grants program provides small grants to community members and groups who want to make a positive impact in their local area.
To support community involvement in the 2022 UCI Road World Championships event, this round of Connecting Neighbours Grants will be focused on activities during or connected to the race, such as street parties, event screenings or dressing up your street.
Examples of past projects that have been funded through this program include planting gardens, working bees, art projects, street get-togethers, a bush dance, and a social outing for a group of isolated older neighbours.
Applications for this program have now closed. We'll be in touch with everyone who applied soon.
- Live or be based in the Wollongong City Council area.
- Be an individual with at least two other friends or neighbours who support your idea (for grants up to $500) OR have a local organisation willing to support your project (for grants over $500 and up to $1000).
- Follow current public health rules, and be able to adjust your plans to meet rules if they change.
To support community involvement in the 2022 UCI Road World Championships event, this round of Connecting Neighbours Grants will be focused on activities during or connected to the race, such as street parties or event screenings.
- Holding an online trivia night or online course with your neighbours
- A BBQ to welcome new neighbours
- Group training, art or exercise classes
- Working bees or gardening
- Social outings, such as for a group of isolated older neighbours.
- Must be based in the Wollongong Local Government Area.
- Need to be community members with a shared idea, part of a community group, or representing a small community organisation (not a government agency or a large non-government or community organisation).
- Is a new initiative and involves local residents.
- Connects people and/or strengthens the neighbourhood.
- Of more than $500 will be managed by an incorporated organisation.
- Up to $500 for individual community members with a shared project idea
- Up to $1000 for projects with the backing of a support organisation. See the 'Support organisations' section of this page for more details.
How funding is provided
- Take responsibility for guiding the project
- Sign an agreement with Council if the application is successful
- Agree to cover the event or activity under their insurances
- Invoice Council, and receive and manage the grant funds
- Work with the project coordinator to write a report to acquit the grant.
Confirmation of support
- Spin Fest is a city-wide community celebration that will be held in conjunction with the 2022 UCI Road World Championships.
- To learn more about the Championships, visit the official website Wollongong 2022.
- See our Park and Beach Hire page for details on how to make a park booking.
- If you'd like to hold a street party, please download the Application for Temporary Road Closure (for Street Parties) form PDF, 34.91 KB and return it to Council. You should also read the standard conditions that apply to street parties.
Below are images of some Connecting Neighbours projects that have been supported in the past (before COVID-19 restrictions applied).
|4 July 2022||Applications open|
|15 August 2022||Applications close|
If you have any questions about Connecting Neighbours Grants, please email or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
- Online Services
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Addressing
- Wood Heaters
- Property Information
- Book a Space
Apply for a Grant
- Bands and Choirs
- Community Events
- Community Events Quick Response Grants
- Connecting Neighbours Grants
- Connecting Neighbours - Verge Garden Grants
- Creating Connections - High School Grants
- Creative Wollongong Quick Response Grants
- Economic and Industry Grants
- Heritage Grants
- Live Music Quick Response Grants
- Minor Donations
- NAIDOC Week Grants
- Small Cultural Grants
- Sports Grants
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details