If you own a property that has local heritage listing, you can apply for support from the Wollongong Heritage Fund.
This program encourages conservation projects in heritage places, and helps to conserve items that have local cultural significance.
To be eligible for this program, you must be undertaking conservation work, or preparing documents that will inform future conservation work, on a property listed as a heritage item in the Wollongong Local Environmental Plan.
Works that go beyond minor or maintenance require Development Consent. If your planned activity needs development consent or other approvals, you will need to make sure you have all approvals before you can receive funding. See our Development pages for more information on approvals.
Heritage grants can be used for projects that start after 1 July in the year you apply and are finished by 31 May the following year.
Examples of projects that are supported through this program include:
- Repairing, maintaining, or reinstating missing items on heritage places
- Preparing technical reports or a Conservation Management Plan that will lead to conservation work.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to:
- Describe the planned project in detail.
- Explain how your activity will contribute to Wollongong's heritage.
- Include a budget for the project and attach quotes.
- Provide photos showing the area of any proposed building works, or plans and sketches if available. You can also include other relevant information like the proposed colour scheme, samples of finishes and background information about the heritage item.
- Provide details of the qualified person who will supervise work and your preferred tradesperson.
Council will consider the following criteria when assessing applications. Projects do not have meet all of these criteria to be supported.
- Does the project provide significant conservation outcomes and demonstrate good conservation practice?
- Does the project contribute to broader conservation goals?
- Is the heritage item accessible to the public, or highly visible from a public place?
- Is the project urgently needed to protect a heritage item?
- Would not doing the project be a risk for damage or loss?
- Is the heritage item used as a private residence or by a not-for-profit group? (ie not as a business premises)
- Will any innovative methods or technology be used?
- Will the project provide employment opportunities or heritage experience for local tradespeople?
- Has the project recently received funding from Council or another source?
You can talk with Council's Heritage Officer about your project before you submit an application. To do this, please email or call (02) 4227 7111.
If your application is successful, you'll need to sign an agreement with Council to receive funds.
We generally will not provide funding for these activities:
- Work that is not conservation work.
- Purchase of a heritage building, site or item.
- New additions to a heritage building. This includes new internal fittings like kitchens and bathrooms.
- Relocation of a heritage building.
- Work on government-owned buildings or sites, except for some grave conservation within cemeteries.
- Projects that have already received substantial assistance from Council.
- Work where assistance is reasonably available from another source, including large strata bodies or developers.
- Projects that have already been completed, unless the works received pre-approval from Council's Heritage Officer that they could be considered for this funding.
- Applications by anyone who has previously received support from Council that was not acquitted.
Funding is available on a dollar-for-dollar-spent basis and Council will consider funding up to 50% of the total project cost, to a maximum of $10,000 (excluding GST).
Applications for the Wollongong Heritage Fund open in February each year. We'll post details to this page when applications open.
- Household Rubbish
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Onsite Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Information
- Book a Space
- Apply for a Grant
- Language Services
- Update Your Details