We provide small grants for not-for-profit groups holding community events during NAIDOC Week.
This program aims to get as many people as possible involved in NAIDOC Week and celebrate the history, culture and achievements of the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
NAIDOC Week 2023 will be held from Sunday 2 July to Sunday 9 July. This year’s theme is For Our Elders.
Applications for this program are open until Friday 5 May 2023.
Applications are welcome from not-for-profit organisations that are planning an activity in the Wollongong City Council area to take place during NAIDOC Week or as close to NAIDOC Week as practical.
Your application will need to explain how you will meet one or more of the following objectives:
- To endorse Wollongong as a vibrant and exciting city that values the culture of its Traditional Owners
- To increase community understanding and showcase the significance and diversity of local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and history
- To strengthen community well-being through participation in an event that celebrates the achievements and culture of the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
If your application is successful, you'll receive a letter explaining the conditions of funding. You will also need to invoice Council to receive payment.
Grants will not be provided for:
- Activities that don't meet the program or applicant requirements explained above
- Activities outside the Wollongong Local Government Area, unless the activity is part of an Illawarra regional event
- Activities that are mainly for fundraising purposes
- Activities that directly benefit an individual
- Activities submitted by government departments or agencies, or schools
- Activities that financially benefit a profit-making individual, organisation or government department
- Applicants who have not acquitted a previous grant from Council
- Applications received after the closing date.
A total of $7,000 is available through this program.
Applications for more than $1,500 are unlikely to receive the full amount requested.
How to apply
Download our NAIDOC Week Grants application DOCX, 66.07 KB and return it to Council by Friday 5 May 2023.
You can send your completed application to us:
- By email, or
- By post to :
Community, Cultural and Economic Development
Wollongong City Council
Locked Bag 8821
Wollongong DC NSW 2500
If you have any questions about this program, please email us or call (02) 4227 7111.
- Online Services
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Backyard Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Addressing
- Wood Heaters
- Activity Applications
- Property Information
- Book a Space
- Apply for a Grant
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details