Our Small Cultural Grants program covers a broad range of activities that enliven our city, build our cultural industry and encourage people to get involved. This can include activities like music, performing arts, visual arts and craft, and cultural projects.
We encourage people from diverse cultural and language backgrounds and members of the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities to apply for this program.
Applications for our 2023 - 2024 program are open until 5pm, Friday 31 March 2023.
Our Small Cultural Grants program is open to residents of the Wollongong Local Government Area. This includes:
- Community and cultural development organisations
- Physically and socially isolated communities
- Groups from diverse backgrounds
- Young people (over 18 years).
Applications will not be accepted from:
- Government departments or agencies
- Profit-making individuals or organisations
- Anyone who has received a previous grant from Council that was not acquitted.
- Projects that happen outside the Wollongong Local Government Area.
To qualify for support through this program, projects must address issues highlighted in our Creative Wollongong strategy PDF, 10132.88 KB
You will need to meet the program requirements for the category you are applying for:
- Category 1 - Community Cultural Development Projects
- Category 2a - Professional Development, Marketing and Minor Capital Support
- Category 2b - New Initiatives: Professional Development, Marketing and Minor Capital Support
Projects must take place between July 2023 and June 2024.
If your application is successful, you will need to sign an agreement with Council, and provide a full report and acquittal after your activity takes place. Any funding provided must be used by the end of the financial year in which it is provided.
You will also need to acknowledge Council's support in any marketing or other material. Details will be included in your agreement document.
This program does not support:
- Projects that take place outside the Wollongong City Council area
- Projects that don't directly benefit Wollongong residents
- Funding towards the completion of an accredited course of study
- Activities that are mostly for fundraising purposes
- Projects that carry forward a financial deficit
- Projects that have already taken place
- Activities where a more suitable source of funding is available
- Projects submitted by government departments or agencies
- Projects that financially benefit a profit-making individual, organisation or government department
- Applications from anyone who has previously been given a grant by Council and has not acquitted that grant
- Applications received after the closing date
- Costs for insurance, lease or rent
- Festivals; however funding may be considered for activities that are an element of a festival, if appropriate.
There are three funding categories for this program.
Category 1 - Community Cultural Development Projects
Category 1 supports local arts-based Community Cultural Development projects and events organised by individual artists and communities. Applicants can request up to $4,000.
Category 2a - Professional Development, Marketing and Minor Capital Support
This category is open to local community-focused arts organisations, groups and cultural initiatives that have been established for three or more years. It provides funding for professional development, marketing and minor capital support. Applicants can request up to $4,000.
Category 2b - New Initiatives: Professional Development, Marketing and Minor Capital Support
This category is open to local community-focused arts organisations, groups and cultural initiatives that have been established for less than three years. It provides seed funding for professional development, marketing and minor capital support. Applicants can request up to $1,000.
Here are some tips to help you prepare your application for this program:
- Download and read our list of the Questions You'll Need to Answer PDF, 145.22 KB
- Write all your answers out in a Word document or similar, so they're ready to copy into the online form.
- Gather your supporting documents (eg venue booking confirmations or letters of support)
- Download our budget template XLSX, 18.91 KB. Enter details for your project, and save it with your supporting documents.
- When everything's ready, use the button at the bottom of the page to apply!
Support for your application
We're happy to talk with you about your application. Please email us, phone (02) 4227 7111 or use the form on the bottom of this page to ask a question.
Information session and workshops 6 March 2023
We're holding a free information session, plus tailored workshops where you can spend time with a Cultural Development Worker and get help putting your application together.
Find out more and book your spot on Eventbrite.
Use the button below to apply for a Small Cultural Grant
Applications close 5pm, Friday 31 March 2023.
Ask a question about our grants
Use the button below to ask us a question about this program.
- Online Services
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Backyard Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Addressing
- Wood Heaters
- Activity Applications
- Property Information
- Book a Space
- Apply for a Grant
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details