We work to make Wollongong a great place for children and their families to live, play and visit.
Our current programs for children and families are shown below.
We encourage children to take part in Council decisions that affect them now and in the future. This is to:
- Help us better meet their needs and interests
- Involve them in their community
- Encourage them to share their ideas and opinions
- Teach them new skills.
Many of our projects that involve children are coordinated with the help of local schools and early childhood centres.
Projects that we regularly consult children on include designing new playgrounds, art projects and our long term vision for the city, Wollongong 2028.
Case studies and resources
Below are some examples of projects where children have helped us make important decisions. We’ve also include some resources for other organisations who are thinking of working with children.
- Case Study 1: Tell us what you wish for the city
- Case Study 2: Help us design a playground
- Case Study 3: Help us design and create art
- Case Study 4: Tell us how to make Wollongong greener
- Questions to ask before working with schools or early childhood centres
- Sample ‘thank you’ letter to schools or childhood centres.
Paint the Gong REaD encourages children aged 5 and under to build a love of books and stories. This early literacy program involves reading, talking, singing and rhyming with children from the time they’re born.
Developing literacy skills early in life helps children through all the later stages of their life.
Our Paint the Gong REaD mascot, Bright Spark, visits libraries, schools and community events to help get more children involved in this fun program.
For more information, follow Paint the Gong REaD on Facebook, or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
Starting ‘big school’ is a major event in a child’s life. We host a free picnic on the first Sunday in November for children about to start school, to make the process a bit easier.
Keep an eye on our Events Calendar for more information.
Here are some links for services that can assist children and families:
Events for children and families
Upcoming events for children and families are shown below, or see our events calendar to find more activities.
Report an Issue
- Air or Water Pollution
- Animal Issues
- Building and Development Issues
- Drains and Stormwater Pits
- Food Issues
- Health Issues
- Injury or Damage Claims
- Noise Issues
- Park Maintenance Issues
- Playground and Sportsground Issues
- Roads and Footpaths
- Rubbish and Recycling Issues
- Traffic and Parking Issues
- Trees, Grass and Plants
- News and Alerts
- Join the Conversation
- Neighbourhood Forums
- Wollongong Living Books
- Activities at our Community Centres
- Aboriginal Communities
- Children and Families
- Young People
- Older People
- People with Disability
- Support for Carers
- Community Transport
- Multicultural Communities
- Refugee Communities
- LGBTIQ Communities
- Low Cost and Free Meals
- Sustainable Living