The City of Wollongong welcomes refugees.
We have many residents who first came to Wollongong as refugees, and we continue to welcome more people seeking refuge from around the world every year.
Refugees contribute to the cultural richness of our city.
We support our local refugee communities through community-based education programs and Refugee Week activities.
You can read about Wollongong’s refugee communities in the document below:
Refugee Week 2021
Refugee Week will take place from Sunday 20 - Saturday 26 June 2021.
Visit the Refugee Week website for more information and resources.
You can also check out some of our local Refugee Stories.
- Refugee Council of Australia
- Roads to Refuge
- Refugee Week Resource Kit
- Asylum Seeker Resource Centre
- UNHCR – The UN Refugee Agency
- Refugee Myths and Facts
- Working Ethically with Refugees
Council also hosts Illawarra Refugee Issues Forum, an interagency group for services working with community members from a refugee background. Call us on (02) 4227 7111 for more information.
Here are some key non-Council groups that provide services and support to multicultural communities in Wollongong:
Illawarra Refugee Challenge
The Illawarra Refugee Challenge is an interactive learning experience for local students. Watch the video below to find out more.
Report an Issue
- Air or Water Pollution
- Animal Issues
- Building and Development Issues
- Drains and Stormwater Pits
- Food Issues
- Health Issues
- Injury or Damage Claims
- Noise Issues
- Park Maintenance Issues
- Playground and Sportsground Issues
- Roads and Footpaths
- Rubbish and Recycling Issues
- Traffic and Parking Issues
- Trees, Grass and Plants
- Website Issues
- News and Alerts
- Join the Conversation
- Neighbourhood Forums
- Wollongong Living Books
- Activities at our Community Centres
- COVID-19 Support Services Directory
- Aboriginal Culture and Communities
- Children and Families
- Young People
- Older People
- People with Disability
- Support for Carers
- Community Transport
- Multicultural Communities
- Refugee Communities
- LGBTIQ Communities
- Mental Health and Crisis Support
- Low Cost and Free Meals
- Social Enterprises
- Reduce Waste
- Sustainable Food
- Energy and Water