We provide time out for people who are caring for older people aged 65 or over.
We can assist you with support programs that are tailored to match your individual needs and interests.
- Monthly bus trips to a variety of interesting local places
- Support in your home - a support person will come to your home to spend time with the person you care for, so you can have a break
- Outings within the local community - a support person will take the person you care for on an outing while you have a break
- Overnight support in a cottage setting for yourself and the person you care for
- Social events throughout the year to connect you with other carers.
We also have programs for carers of people living with dementia. This includes:
- Twilight Tours, a group bus trip, with care support for people with dementia who are experiencing "sundowning".
- The Social Bus, a regular bus outing to support people with early dementia symptoms to remain active and connected to the community.
- Links to Leisure, a regular bus outing for carers and the people they care for to enjoy together. The bus goes to a different destination every fortnight and provides a chance for carers to spend time with other carers.
If you have questions, email or call us on (02) 4227 7888.
To access our support programs, you or the person you care for must be registered with My Aged Care. Visit the My Aged Care website or call 1800 200 422 to get started.
Ask to be referred to Flexible Respite Services at Wollongong City Council, and My Aged Care will connect you with us.
Council's Social Support Programs are funded by the Australian Department of Health. A contribution is required for these services.
Become a volunteer
Our programs are provided thanks to our amazing volunteers.
If you're interested in volunteering for our social support programs visit our Volunteering page. New volunteers are always welcome!
Report an Issue
- Air or Water Pollution
- Animal Issues
- Building and Development Issues
- Drains and Stormwater Pits
- Food and Health Issues
- Injury or Damage Claims
- Noise Issues
- Park Maintenance Issues
- Playground and Sportsground Issues
- Roads and Footpaths
- Rubbish and Recycling Issues
- Traffic and Parking Issues
- Trees, Grass and Plants
- News and Alerts
- Have Your Say
- Neighbourhood Forums
- Wollongong Living Books
- Activities at our Community Centres
- Aboriginal Communities
- Children and Families
- Young People
- Older People
- People with Disability
- Support for Carers
- Community Transport
- Multicultural Communities
- Refugee Communities
- LGBTI Communities
- Low Cost and Free Meals
- Social Enterprises
- Sustainable Living