Wollongong regularly hosts community events for local Aboriginal communities and the wider public to come together and celebrate Aboriginal culture and history.
Each year, our communities mark the following national events and significant dates:
- 26 January: Survival Day
- 13 February: National Apology to the Stolen Generation
- 19 March: National Closing the Gap Day
- 26 May: National Sorry Day
- 27 May - 3 June: Reconciliation Week
- 3 June: Mabo Day
- First week of July: NAIDOC Week
- 4 August: National Aboriginal and Islander Children's Day
- 9 August: International Day of Indigenous Peoples
- October long weekend: NSW Aboriginal Rugby League Knockout Carnival.
Upcoming events for Aboriginal communities that are organised or supported by Council are shown below.