Assistance for Sports Clubs and Associations
We help sports clubs and associations that use Council sportsgrounds to look after and improve their facilities.
Council part-funds approved projects, with additional funding by clubs, peak bodies and / or government programs.
Our Sports Facilities Grants supports our Sportsgrounds and Sporting Facilities Strategy PDF, 5538.18 KB by funding small and medium-sized projects that:
- Increase opportunities for people to participate in sport
- Increase sportsground capacity and allow sites to be used for multiple sports and groups
- Renew and enhance existing sporting infrastructure, with a focus on gender equity, accessibility and storage
- Invest in infrastructure to support and accommodate emerging sports and independent recreational pursuits.
Applications for 2023-2024 have now closed.
We will be in contact with all applicants soon.
This project is open to sporting clubs that are:
- Not for profit
- Based or operating within the Wollongong City Council Local Government Area on land categorised as 'sportsground' under section 36(4) of the Local Government Act (1993).
Grants range from a minimum of $5,000 to a maximum of $100,000, excluding GST.
Examples of projects that may be eligible for support through this program include:
- Minor refurbishment of amenities / change rooms focusing on gender equity and accessibility
- Storage facilities
- Seating and portable grandstands
- Upgrade of canteen (excluding appliances)
- Fencing improvements
- Score boards
- Sportsfield light globe / luminaire replacement and upgrade to LED
- Aeration, top-dressing and turf improvements such as fertilising, spraying etc
- Resurfacing and drainage
- Ground Irrigation
- Court resurfacing
- Awning and shade structures
- Water and bottle refill stations.
The following activities are not eligible for support through this program:
- Projects on private land or Council land not categorised as a Sportsground
- Construction projects without Development Consent
- Project proposals that do not meet applicable Building Codes or Australian standards
- New sportsfield lighting projects
- New amenities
- Expenses for external marketing, advertising products, or event promotion
- Training courses, uniforms, safety apparel, end of year celebrations and trophies.
You will need to email the supporting documents for your application. These include:
- Copies of minimum number of quotes based on Total Project value to align with Council's procurement requirements:
- Projects between $5,000 and $9,999 (inc GST): Two comparative written quotes
- Projects between $10,000 and $100,000 (inc GST): Three comparative written quotes
- A letter of support from the club or existing users of the sportsground
- A letter of support from the peak body / sports association, noting its support and alignment to increasing sports participation
- Project delivery plan, budget, and details of any additional sources of funding
- Detailed/concept plans and drawings and development consent (if applicable).
All applications must be submitted using the online application form below, with supporting documentation emailed, in accordance with the information on this page.
Applications will be assessed against a set criteria including how the project:
- Increases sports participation opportunities
- Increases sports participation opportunities for females
- Increases sports participation opportunities for juniors, the ageing population. or disadvantaged members of the community
- Provides opportunities for increased shared use of facilities to other sports user groups
- Addresses current challenges / shortfalls to your sport
- Directly impacts your sport at a local, district and / or regional level if the project doesn’t proceed
- Includes a level of financial co-contribution towards the project.
Assessments will be made by representatives of Council’s Sports and Facilities Reference Group, and ranked to determine the priority of any grant funding.
All successful applicants will be required to sign a funding agreement with Council. Projects must be completed by in accordance with the funding agreement requirements.
|Applications open||9am, 1 July 2023|
|Information meeting sessions avaliable||Between 3 July to 7 July 2023|
|Applications close||9am, 31 July 2023|
|Applications assessed||August 2023|
|Applicants advised of outcome||Late October 2023|
Further details about project requirements will be made available to successful applicants in their funding agreement.
If you have any questions please email or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
Wollongong City Leisure Centres
Our Leisure Centres at Beaton Park and Lakeside offer support programs for local athletes, coaches, and not-for-profit groups wanting to hold fundraising activities at our Centres.
Please visit the Leisure Centres' website for more information.
National and International Selection
Teams or individuals from our city who are selected for national or international sports events can apply for support through our Minor Donations program.
NSW Government sports grants
Each year the NSW Office of Sport provides millions in government grants to nurture sporting talent, help build sports facilities and develop the industry as a whole.
Visit the Office of Sport website for more information.
- Online Services
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Backyard Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Addressing
- Wood Heaters
- Activity Applications
- Property Information
- Book a Space
- Apply for a Grant
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details