These are services you can use if you find it hard to communicate in English.
Language aides are people who work at Council and can speak languages other than English. They are not professional interpreters, but can help customers who are dealing with Council.
We currently have language aides for:
- AUSLAN (sign)
There is no cost to use our language aides.
Please ask our staff if you’d like a language aide to help you.
Council has an interpreter service that can help you with face-to-face language support.
Interpreters can work with you to communicate with government, community groups or private businesses.
See our Interpreters page for details of available languages, costs, and how to make a booking.
Our Interpreter Service is on hold until further notice. We will update this page when the service returns.
You can also find links to COVID-19 information in community languages on our COVID-19 Multilingual Information page.
Translations are language interpretations made in writing. Our interpreter service does not offer written translations.
You can get written translations through Service NSW. For more information see their website, call 13 77 88 or visit the Wollongong office at 90 Crown Street, Wollongong.
You can use the Australian Government’s Translating and Interpreting Service to deal with Council in languages other than English.
To phone Council using this service, call 13 14 50 and ask them to connect you to Wollongong City Council on (02) 4227 7111.
For more information visit the Translating and Interpreting Service website.
Our COVID-19 Multilingual Information page has links to websites and fact sheets in different community languages.
Documents in community languages
- Language Aide Translation in Greek PDF, 116.99 KB
- Language Aide Translation in Italian PDF, 92.96 KB
- Language Aide Translation in Macedonian PDF, 112.38 KB
- Language Aide Translation in Polish PDF, 109.02 KB
- Language Aide Translation in Serbian PDF, 103.88 KB
- Language Aide Translation in Spanish PDF, 68.19 KB
- Language Aide Translation in Turkish PDF, 94.48 KB
- How Can We Help Our Environment - Arabic PDF, 6224.44 KB
- How Can We Help Our Environment - Chinese PDF, 6323.46 KB
- How Can We Help Our Environment - Macedonian PDF, 6172.29 KB
- Managing our waste wisely - Arabic PDF, 1324.27 KB
- Managing our waste wisely - Chinese PDF, 1533.75 KB
- Managing our waste wisely - Macedonian PDF, 1309.69 KB
- FOGO Easy Read guide - Arabic PDF, 1226.96 KB
- FOGO Easy Read guide - Chinese PDF, 1568.32 KB
- FOGO Easy Read guide - Farsi PDF, 1220.31 KB
- FOGO Easy Read guide - Italian PDF, 1506.51 KB
- FOGO Easy Read guide - Macedonian PDF, 1555.67 KB
- FOGO Easy Read guide - Vietnamese PDF, 1594.8 KB
- Customer Service FAQs in Arabic PDF, 2033.42 KB
- Customer Service FAQs in Chinese PDF, 2566.37 KB
- Customer Service FAQs in Macedonian PDF, 2036.31 KB
We also have a list of questions we are asked a lot with simple answers on our Common Questions in Easy English page.
- Beach safety brochure - Arabic PDF, 3041.91 KB
- Beach safety brochure - Chinese PDF, 3162.95 KB
- Beach safety brochure - English PDF, 4421.63 KB
- Beach safety brochure - Hindi PDF, 3080.2 KB
- Beach safety brochure - Vietnamese PDF, 3111.83 KB
- Swimwear guidelines - Arabic PDF, 516.35 KB
- Swimwear guidelines - Chinese (Mandarin) PDF, 605.83 KB
Surf Life Saving NSW's Learn & Play in Your Language page also has translated information about the beach, rip currents, lifesavers, rock fishing and staying safe at our beautiful beaches.
Videos in community languages
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Information
- Book a Space
Apply for a Grant
- Bands and Choirs
- Community Events
- Community Events Quick Response Grants
- Connecting Neighbours Grants
- Connecting Neighbours - Verge Garden Grants
- Creating Connections - High School Grants
- Creative Wollongong Quick Response Grants
- Economic and Industry Grants
- Emergency Food and Care Support Grants
- Heritage Grants
- Live Music Quick Response Grants
- Minor Donations
- NAIDOC Week Grants
- Small Cultural Grants
- Sports Grants
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details