We can investigate complaints about illegal building work or development.
This includes problems like:
- Noise on a building site
- Dirt, dust or run-off from a building site
- Safety on a building site
- Unauthorised development
- Issues about trees and development
- Someone running a business without approval
- Other building or development-related problems.
You can read about how we handle these issues in our Compliance and Enforcement Policy PDF, 81.97 KB.
If you want to report a problem about current construction or demolition, you should first check if the building site has a sign showing details of the certifier (also called a Principal Certifier). It’s their role to make sure things are being done correctly.
You should try to contact the certifier to report any problems.
You can report an issue to Council if:
- Council is the certifier
- You can’t reach the certifier, or they did not help you
- There isn’t a sign or you don’t know who the certifier is.
You can also call us on (02) 4227 7111 to check who the certifier is if you’re not sure.
If you want to know whether development work near you has been approved, there are a couple of ways you can check.
If building is underway, check if there is a sign at the front of the property with details of the builder and principal certifier. This should include contact information for the person you can talk to about any concerns.
If you can’t see a sign, you can:
- Check our online DA register
- Put in a GIPA request for details of any work that’s been approved at the property; or
- Call us on (02) 4227 7111.
It’s important to note that any work that falls under exempt development does not need Council’s approval, and we don’t have records about exempt works.
To report a building or development issue, use the button below or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
Report an Issue
- Air or Water Pollution
- Animal Issues
- Building and Development Issues
- Drains and Stormwater Pits
- Food Issues
- Health Issues
- Injury or Damage Claims
- Noise Issues
- Park Maintenance Issues
- Playground and Sportsground Issues
- Roads and Footpaths
- Rubbish and Recycling Issues
- Traffic and Parking Issues
- Trees, Grass and Plants
- Website Issues
- News and Alerts
- Join the Conversation
- Neighbourhood Forums
- Wollongong Living Books
- Activities at our Community Centres
- COVID-19 Support Services Directory
- Aboriginal Culture and Communities
- Children and Families
- Young People
- Older People
- People with Disability
- Support for Carers
- Community Transport
- Multicultural Communities
- Refugee Communities
- LGBTIQ Communities
- Mental Health and Crisis Support
- Low Cost and Free Meals
- Social Enterprises
- Reduce Waste
- Sustainable Food
- Energy and Water