Start your career in local government, and study part time while you get mentoring and experience on the job.
Anyone can apply for our entry level positions, regardless of age or experience.
We generally invite applications each spring, but entry level roles may also come up at other times throughout the year.
Keep an eye on our Positions Vacant for new opportunities.
Cadetships combine work with part-time university studies in a related field. They usually take between four and eight years to complete, depending on how many subjects you take each semester.
You will need to qualify for the relevant uni degree to be able to apply for a cadetship. However, you don’t need to be enrolled before you apply.
Many cadets will rotate to different roles within their work area during the cadetship. This gives you a range of experience working with different people, and on different projects.
Apprenticeships generally combine a trade qualification, such as a TAFE certificate or diploma, with on the job training. Common apprenticeships with Council could include horticulture, civil design, plumbing or electrical work.
Most apprenticeships are for four years.
A traineeship will typically run for one or two years, but in some cases can be up to four years. Traineeships can cover a broad range of jobs, from administration to hands-on roles.
- Your Council Officials
- Council Meetings
Access to Information
- Contracts Register
- Council Position Statements Register
- Council Voting Register
- Current Leases and Licences
- Delegations Register
- Development Application Register
- Development Consents
- Development Contributions Register
- Disclosure Log
- Graffiti Removal Register
- Investments Register
- Land Register
- Planning Agreements Register
- Political Donations and Gifts
- Tree Removal Register
- Variation to Development Standards Register
- Information Registers
- Jobs at Council
- Fees and Charges
- Plans and Reports
- Council Policies
- Corporate Governance
Committees and Groups
- Aboriginal Reference Group
- Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee
- Australia Day Committee
- Community Safety Reference Group
- Floodplain Committees
- Lake Illawarra Estuary Management Committee
- Sports and Facilities Reference Group
- Traffic Committee
- Walking, Cycling and Mobility Reference Group
- West Dapto Review Committee
- Wollongong Heritage Reference Group
- Southern Regional Planning Panel
- Wollongong Local Planning Panel
- Community Land