Here are some commonly asked questions about jobs at Council. If you have a question that isn’t covered here, please email or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
Make sure you also check our How to Apply page.
Do I need to write a cover letter?
You’re welcome to write a cover letter if you like, but this isn’t essential.
I can’t see a job I want on the list. Can I just send you my CV?
No. We only accept applications for positions listed on our Job Vacancies page.
Can you just use my last application?
No. You need to apply separately for each job as they come up.
Can I email you my application?
We only accept applications through our online system. Please do not email or post an application to us, as we won’t be able to consider it.
Can I get an extension on the closing time?
Our deadlines are strict to make sure the process is fair for everyone applying.
You can also read our Recruitment Process page for general information on interviews and assessments.
Where are interviews held?
Many interviews for jobs at Council are held in our administration building on Burelli Street, Wollongong.
Sometimes we may also hold interviews at other Council sites across the city. If you’re doing an assessment, it may be held at a different location to your interview.
We’ll send you details of the location/s you need to attend when we confirm the interview with you.
Is there parking available?
You will need to use whatever parking is publicly available. We don’t have reserved parking for people attending interviews.
Make sure you allow plenty of time to get to your interview in case parking is in high demand.
I’m running late or can’t attend the interview. What do I do?
Call or email the hiring manager as soon as you can. If you have trouble getting through, call Council’s general number (02) 4227 7111 and we will pass a message on.
I’ll be overseas or out of the area when interviews are held – can I still take part?
In many cases, we can arrange a phone or video interview if you have internet access. Note that interview times will be during local working hours (NSW time).
Talk to the hiring manager to discuss what arrangements can be made if you can’t be here in person.
Can I get feedback on my application?
Absolutely. We know it can sometimes feel a bit awkward, but it’s worth asking for feedback on your application. We're happy to explain why you might not have been successful or to help you improve future applications.
Contact the hiring manager if you want to discuss your application.
Ask a question
Got a question about jobs at Council that's not covered here? Use the button below or give us a call on (02) 4227 7111.
- Your Council Officials
- 2023 Referendum: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice
- Council Meetings
Access to Information
- Agency Information Guide
- Contracts Register
- Contracts Register - Class 1
- Contracts Register - Class 2
- Contracts Register - Class 3
- Council Position Statements Register
- Council Voting Register
- Current Leases and Licences
- Data Breach Public Notification Register
- Delegations Register
- Designated Officers
- Development Application Register (Application Tracking)
- Development Approvals
- Development Contributions Register
- Disclosure Log
- Graffiti Removal Register
- Investments Register
- Land Register
- Planning Agreements Register
- Political Donations and Gifts
- Tree Removal Register
- Variation to Development Standards Register
- Jobs at Council
- Fees and Charges
- Plans and Reports
- Council Policies
- Corporate Governance
Committees and Groups
- Aboriginal Reference Group
- Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee
- Australia Day Committee
- Cycling Advisory Groups
- Floodplain Committees
- Lake Illawarra CMP Implementation Group
- Sports and Facilities Reference Group
- Traffic Committee
- Walking, Cycling and Mobility Reference Group
- West Dapto Review Committee
- Wollongong Heritage Reference Group
- Southern Regional Planning Panel
- Wollongong Local Planning Panel
- Community Land