Here’s what you can expect after you apply for a job with Council.
For each position, there is a selection panel. This usually includes three people, but in some cases there may be more.
Typical panels of three people will include:
- The hiring manager. This is usually the person who will be the supervisor of the vacant position.
- A staff member from the work area where the position is based
- An independent staff member from a different area within Council.
In some cases an expert from outside Council who knows about the role may also join the panel.
We make sure that there is always at least one male and one female on each panel.
After the closing date, the selection panel will shortlist applicants to decide who will be interviewed.
The panel will look at how well each applicant responded to the selection criteria, and make sure that they meet all requirements such as qualifications and licences.
Applicants who are shortlisted will then be invited to attend an interview.
If your application is not shortlisted, we will send you an email to advise you that you have not been successful. You are also welcome to contact the hiring manager to ask for feedback on your application.
Shortlisting is usually done within 1 week after the closing date. In some cases it may be a little longer.
If you are shortlisted, the hiring manager will contact you to arrange a time and place for an interview. You will also be sent an email confirming these details.
We try to provide a welcoming and safe environment for interviews. If you have any specific needs, please tell the hiring manager ahead of time so we can try to support you.
When you attend the interview, make sure you bring your identification (drivers licence or passport) and originals of any qualifications.
Depending on the role you’re applying for, there may be some assessments you need to do as well as attending an interview. This could be a practical or writing task to demonstrate your skills, a psychometric test (personality test) or other knowledge test.
The hiring manager will give you details of any other assessments you need to do when they contact you to arrange the interview.
Once all of the interviews (and any assessments) have been held the panel will meet to score each applicant and choose the most suitable person for the job.
We will also contact referees and check qualifications before making a final decision. Applicants being considered for the job will be asked to do a medical test.
Once the successful applicant has been decided, we will contact them to offer them the job, and discuss a suitable starting date.
We will then write to everyone who was interviewed to tell them the outcome of their application.
Depending on the role, it can take anywhere between a few days and a few weeks after interviews to get back to everyone with a final decision.
- Your Council Officials
- 2021 Local Government Elections
- Council Meetings
Access to Information
- Agency Information Guide
- Contracts Register
- Contracts Register - Class 1
- Contracts Register - Class 2
- Contracts Register - Class 3
- Council Position Statements Register
- Council Voting Register
- Current Leases and Licences
- Delegations Register
- Designated Officers
- Development Application Register
- Development Consents
- Development Contributions Register
- Disclosure Log
- Graffiti Removal Register
- Investments Register
- Land Register
- Planning Agreements Register
- Political Donations and Gifts
- Tree Removal Register
- Variation to Development Standards Register
- Jobs at Council
- Fees and Charges
- Plans and Reports
- Council Policies
- Corporate Governance
Committees and Groups
- Aboriginal Reference Group
- Audit, Risk and Improvement Committee
- Australia Day Committee
- Community Safety Reference Group
- Cycling Advisory Groups
- Floodplain Committees
- Lake Illawarra Estuary Management Committee
- Sports and Facilities Reference Group
- Traffic Committee
- Walking, Cycling and Mobility Reference Group
- West Dapto Review Committee
- Wollongong Heritage Reference Group
- Southern Regional Planning Panel
- Wollongong Local Planning Panel
- Community Land