Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Animal Issues

We act to make sure people follow NSW laws about pets and animals.

The Companion Animals Act covers most household pets. There are also development rules about how other animals like chickens, pigeons, bees and livestock can be kept.

Pick from the options below to report an animal issue to Council.


Barking dog

If your neighbour’s dog is barking and disturbing you, talk to your neighbour if you can. They might not know there’s a problem, especially if the dog barks when they’re not home.

If you can’t talk to your neighbour, or if that doesn't help, report it using the button below.

We’ll let the owner know there’s been a complaint and give them advice to reduce barking.

Other animals

Use the button below to report any other types of domestic animal noise in residential areas.

To report a nuisance cat, please see our Animal Issues page.

If you find a dog that appears to be stray or roaming, you can:

  • Try to secure the dog in your yard or home if you can do this safely.
  • If the dog has a tag, try to phone the owner so they can pick it up. This saves having to contact Council or take the dog to an animal shelter.
  • Take the dog to the RSPCA Animal Shelter or a vet.

If you can’t get the dog back to its owner, or to a vet or shelter, call us on (02) 4227 7111 or use the button below to report it to us.

If a dog attack is happening right now, call us on (02) 4227 7111 and call emergency services if needed.

If a dog attacks a person or other animal, you should report it to us immediately so we can act as soon as possible.

You’ll need to include your full name, contact phone number and as many details as you can about the attack.

Call us on (02) 4227 7111 or use the button below to report a dog attack.

You can report a dog that is behaving aggressively, or that you think might be dangerous.

Use the button below or call us on (02) 4227 7111.

You can read about rules that dog owners need to follow on our Dogs page.

Use the button below or call us on (02) 4227 7111 to report misbehaviour by a dog or its owner.

This could include things like a dog being off leash in public, or being in an area where dogs aren’t allowed.

If your dog goes missing, check with neighbours, nearby vets, or call the RSPCA Shelter on (02) 4271 3410.

You need to tell us if your dog is missing for more than 72 hours. Call us on (02) 4227 7111.

We can mark them as missing on the pet register, so you can be contacted if they’re found. This can also stop someone else from claiming ownership of your dog.


It’s not illegal for cats to roam, but if a cat is making excessive noise or damaging property, you can report it to Council.

Use the link below or call us on (02) 4227 7111.

If you’ve found a stray cat, you can also take it to a vet or the RSPCA Shelter.

Other animal issues

If you find a dead animal on public land, report it to us on (02) 4227 7111 or use the button below.

Dead animals on private land

We do not handle dead animals on private property.

If you have a large dead animal like a deer, horse or cow on your property, you will need to arrange it to be taken to our Waste Depot at Kembla Grange for disposal. Waste disposal fees apply. Call us on (02) 4227 7111 ahead of time so our waste staff can prepare for your arrival.

If you have a dog or cat which you can no longer keep, you may be able to surrender it to Council at no cost.

Please note:

  • There is no after-hours service for surrendering animals.
  • Requests will only be met if we have the capacity to accept the animal. At times we may either be unable to accept an animal, or there may be a delay before we can accept it.
  • You are encouraged to try any other available methods to re-home the animal (for example, offering it to friends or on social media) before you ask to surrender it to Council.

To ask us about options for surrendering an animal, please call (02) 4227 7111 during business hours, or use the button below to make an online enquiry.

If you believe animals like chickens, pigs, pigeons, horses, goats or other livestock are not being kept properly, use the button below to report it.

We have a limited role in dealing with pest animals like deer, rabbits, foxes and Indian myna birds.

We don’t take action in most pest animal cases, but by reporting problems you can help us track pest activity. We share this information with other government agencies and may use it to plan new control programs.

Magpies are known to sometimes swoop during the spring, which is their breeding season. It's estimated that only about 10% of magpies swoop, and when they do, it's usually only for a few weeks.

You can read about magpies' swooping behaviour and tips to avoid them on the NSW Department Planning and Environment website.

Although it can be scary getting swooped, the magpie is a protected species and it’s an offence to harm them.

Council can put warning signs up at known swooping locations to alert people using those areas.

Use the button below to let us know if you've been swooped by a magpie in a public space, or call us on (02) 4227 7111.

You should never approach an injured deer, as they can be dangerous.

  • If an injured deer is creating an immediate danger to public safety, call the Police on 000.
  • If the injured deer is on public land and is not causing an immediate danger, call Council on (02) 4227 7111 or report it to us using the link below

Call us on (02) 4227 7111 or use the button below if you find a roaming animal that’s not a cat or a dog.

Below are contacts for animal issues that are not handled by Council.

  • Animal cruelty: contact the RSPCA
  • Dog left in a car: if the owner can’t be found straight away, call the Police on 131 444 or RSPCA NSW on 1300 278 3589
  • Export of Australian greyhounds: see the RSPCA's website
  • Injured or orphaned wildlife: contact WIRES on 1300 094 737. If you’re in or south of the CBD you can also contact Wildlife Rescue South Coast on 0418 427 214
  • Livestock roaming on private land: contact Local Land Services South East