Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Construction Noise

It's common for building and construction sites to be noisy. But when noise from these works is excessive or happening out of hours, you can report it as a problem.

Who to talk to

The first person to talk to about construction noise will usually be the Principal Certifier for the site. The Principal Certifier could be a private person or company (private certifier), or it could be Council.

It's the Principal Certifier's job to:

  • Make sure any noise at a construction site is managed in line with the conditions that have been approved for the work
  • Investigate any noise complaints and give you feedback.

Below is a guide to help you find out who to contact about construction noise.

Is there a sign at the building site with the Principal Certifier's name?
Usually this will be on fencing or near an entry point to the site. The sign should also include contact details.
Contact the person or company shown on the sign.Contact Council and we'll try to find the Principal Certifier's details for you.
Is Wollongong City Council the Principal Certifier?Use the button below or call us on (02) 4227 7111 to report a construction noise issue.Contact the private certifier.
Have you made a report, but the issue hasn't been dealt with?Contact Council for advice.

If a private certifier has not dealt with your report properly, we may advise you to contact the NSW Fair Trading. 
Follow the steps above to make a report.

Report construction noise to Council

You can also call us on (02) 4227 7111 during business hours.

Common questions about construction noise

Your report should include as much detail as possible to help Council or the private certifier investigate. This includes:

  • The type of noise
  • Dates and times when the noise is happening.
  • How long the noise lasts
  • Your location
  • How the noise is impacting you
  • What, if any, contact you have had with the Principal Certifier for the site.

Council can only take action on reports about construction noise when the noise does not meet the conditions that have been approved for the work. These conditions will be explained in the Development Consent for the work site.

Generally if work is being done in line with the conditions of consent, we won't be able to take action.

Please also note, we don't have staff on call 24 hours a day to attend work sites where noise is reported.

Hours for construction sites

The standard hours that are approved for most building sites where work is done under a Development Application are:

  • 7am to 6pm Monday to Saturday
  • No work allowed on Sunday or public holidays.

Sometimes exceptions to these hours may be approved, but in most cases the hours above will apply.

Hours for home renovations

Noise can also come from people using power tools around their home, and other works in residential areas that aren't part of an approved Development Application.

In these cases, noise is only allowed within the following hours:

  • 8am – 8pm Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.
  • 7am – 8pm any other day.

To report noise from works which are not part of a Development Application, please use the button on our Noise Issues page.

To request a copy of a Development Consent, please visit our Access to Information page and use the button to Make an informal GIPA request.

No. Council may be able to take action where a private certifier is allowing work to happen outside the approved conditions of consent for a development application, but we don't directly manage private certifiers.

Private certifiers operate under laws set by the NSW Government. Where a construction site is managed by a private certifier, you will need to talk to them directly. You may also be able to contact NSW Fair Trading if you're unable to work things out directly with a private certifier.