Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council


You can report some types of pollution issues to Council.

If you believe a pollution incident is high risk or urgent, call (02) 4227 7111, including after hours. Pollution that is an immediate threat to life, the environment or property will be treated as a priority.

Council responds to incidents where waterways, gutters or stormwater channels could be polluted by these types of materials:

  • Sediment like soil, sand, silt and mud
  • Building waste
  • Plant matter
  • Paint or chemicals
  • Sewage.

For high-risk or urgent pollution incidents call (02) 4227 7111, including after hours.

To report non-urgent pollution caused by water, erosion or sediment, use the button below or call us in business hours on (02) 4227 7111.

What to include in your report

Please include as much information as you can to help us investigate a pollution incident, including:

  • Details about the exact location of the problem. If it’s in a creek or waterway, describe the nearest cross street or property address.
  • A description of any smells, slime, changes in water colour, or dead plants or fish nearby
  • If you know or suspect who or what caused the pollution, include as many details as you can.

You can report these types of residential air pollution to Council:

  • Spray painting
  • Smoke and nuisance burning
  • Wood heaters.

We will also investigate air pollution caused by:

  • Small or medium sized businesses
  • Odours from a small business, restaurant or food outlet

Call (02) 4227 7111 or use the button below to report air pollution.

Air pollution from industrial sites

You can report air pollution from large industrial sites like mines or ports to the NSW EPA on 131 555.

What else you can do about air pollution

Besides reporting air pollution to Council, you can try these options:

  • Talk to your neighbour or the person causing the air pollution.
  • For help talking with your neighbour, contact the Community Justice Centre.
  • If you’ve tried different ways to fix the problem and this hasn’t worked, you can seek legal advice about other action you might be able to take.

Feedback about our Waste Depot

To make a complaint or provide feedback about environmental issues at our Waste Depot at Kembla Grange, please call (02) 4227 7111.

This number can also be used for urgent issues after-hours. Choose option 1 to be put through to our after-hours service.

For non-urgent feedback, you can also visit our Compliments, Complaints and Feedback page.